Lighter podzuma - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2012, 02:17 AM   #1
mottl3y is offline mottl3y  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Lighter podzuma

I've been looking around at portable speaker sets. I want an ipod dock/mp3 dock, but I don't want to a crappy pair of speakers and I don't want to shell out for the Bose/Altec Lansing versions. Plus I wouldn't mind building it myself.

I had a look at the podzuma, but I'd like something lighter and easier to carry around. I was looking at using a pair of CSS EL70s with the Mar-Kel70 enclosures and an Amp32 from 41Hz.

Any comments or suggestions on the setup? The enclosures are bigger than I'd like, so if there are recommendations for something smaller that still sounds OK I'd love to hear it! Also I haven't decided on the battery setup yet, but I'll look into LiPol or other options that are lighter than lead acid.
Old 30th May 2012, 03:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

There is also the smaller mMar-Kel for the EL70. They probably weigh about 1/2 as much. The sound is a little more restrained compared to the full Mar-Kel, but I still find them very enjoyable to listen to.

Kyle
Old 30th May 2012, 03:59 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleinCowichan View Post
There is also the smaller mMar-Kel for the EL70. They probably weigh about 1/2 as much. The sound is a little more restrained compared to the full Mar-Kel, but I still find them very enjoyable to listen to.

Kyle

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...map-231009.pdf

certainly an easier build and definitely more portable ( please use only decent plywood, or contact Dave re kit)
Old 30th May 2012, 10:23 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

These could be used instead :
Madisound Speaker Store

rgds, sreten.
Old 4th June 2012, 09:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the responses - I'll give the mMar-Kel a whirl!
Old 5th June 2012, 02:53 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

One more question about the enclosure: the plans for the mMar-Kel have the front corners cut at a 45. Does that have an effect on sound?

I thought it wouldn't make a difference but I read in another thread about changing the shape of the front baffle to alter the sound. I was planning to route the edges of the speaker as a rounded corner.
Old 5th June 2012, 01:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That 45 degree chamfer should have little effect on the sound (theoretically). More cosmetic than functional. The size of the diagonal would have to be larger to have a meaningful effect.
Old 8th June 2012, 06:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks audiosteve.

Can anyone tell me what the braces are for? I guess the one behind the driver is to keep it firmly in place (... I thought that's why it was screwed into the front baffle). But I can't come up with a good reason for the smaller brace.

Hide this!Advertise here!