I have a 10W SEP tube amp - Now which DIY speaker to build - Advice? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2012, 07:16 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Thats the first time I have heard bamboo recommended over bb. We have an excellent lumber yard here in San Jose, 'Southern Lumber' who stock it. Thanks for the top tip!

Those are a fantastic build!
Old 24th May 2012, 07:21 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

No vote for a Metronome? At the first Burning Amp in 2007, a pair of Metronomes with 8" hemp drivers rocked a big room (converted firehouse) with a Tubelab Simple SE and a low power Class A ("Half Nelson") of my own design.

Last edited by wrenchone; 24th May 2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: sp
Old 24th May 2012, 07:59 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdurrant View Post
Thats the first time I have heard bamboo recommended over bb.
Note that there are 3 grades of bamboo ply with the stranded the best.

For general purpose work we are switching from BB to Murphy Plywood, made in Oregon, it has maple surface veneers, is higher consistency & quality, and at least for the 15 & 18 mm, 2 more plys than BB. It is more expensive, but comes in 4x8 sheets which usually give us better yield.

dave
Old 24th May 2012, 08:07 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchone View Post
No vote for a Metronome?
There are a huge number of choices... we'd likely need another 50 posters to recommend all the candidates.

No mention yet of any of the new boxes for the FFxx5wk yet either...

Steve's build of FF225wk Met is getting raves from the locals over in the UK.

Click the image to open in full size.

There are mets for the FF165wk & FF125wk pretty much fits the FE127 met.

And i've only just started on the FFxx5wk miniOnkens -- FF85 & Ff125 designed, built and declared good -- with FF165 & FF225 in the works -- the latter 2 likelty best suited here.

dave
Old 24th May 2012, 08:18 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. I came across the woden site a while back. Being an ex-pat I was excited by the simplicity of the designs being a beginner. Whats not mentioned on the site are the listening impressions or comparisons of the two models. Also in my research I hear mixed reviews on fostex vs mark audio drivers...Any further info you guys have would be much appreciated.

I assume these units are to be built using HDF at worst and Baltic ply at best.

Thanks again!

Glen
I think the Mark Audio drivers may struggle with low power amps being a good deal less efficient then the Fostex's.
Old 24th May 2012, 08:23 AM   #16
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

Steve's build of FF225wk Met is getting raves from the locals over in the UK.
that one would interest even me
Old 24th May 2012, 08:52 AM   #17
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default tube amp

Hello,
what you think about my double horns
SAXOPHON, POSAUNE XL, RDH 20
all ~98 dB 1W1m, cheap driver, less parts,
and by construction you delete the bass resonanz,
this would be the best for little amps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rdhb200web.jpg (18.7 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg posaune XL ANS8 TK.jpg (40.1 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg brysch5web.jpg (29.8 KB, 237 views)
Old 25th May 2012, 01:04 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have middle-aged ears, still in good condition, I can still hear to about 18Khz I listen to a very broad cross-section, but in a nutshell, I like complex and broad arrangements (Tindersticks, Andrew Bird), folk and classical guitar / piano (John Renbourne / Eric Satie) and sixties rock (Love/Airplane/Dead).

Thanks in advance!
I'm in that category myself... 10 watts will run out pretty darn fast with the smaller favored "fullrangers" so if you like to turn it up, I'd go with with an 8" Fostex, say the FE208ez, in one of the various rear loaded horn options. This is a simple filter-less single driver speaker, although you could add a super-tweeter later if needed. This driver is efficient and "gutsy"; plays loud without the sound field suddenly collapsing and going into distortion like the smaller fullrangers.

The other option is to go small and add a sub. The plus is that you have potentially smaller footprint and more flexibility in placement, albeit with the added complexity of another amp, high and low pass filters. Caveat, this is the path where you begin to think about speakers more than listening to the music.
Old 25th May 2012, 02:36 AM   #19
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtingthomas View Post
I think the Mark Audio drivers may struggle with low power amps being a good deal less efficient then the Fostex's.
My Alpair 10.2's driven by an 8 wpc SET, in a 13 x 24 room will play to very uncomfortable levels, (unfortunately, no #'s available)
decidedly louder than I would ever listen, though.
Don
Old 25th May 2012, 02:38 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrakaz View Post
I'm in that category myself... 10 watts will run out pretty darn fast with the smaller favored "fullrangers" so if you like to turn it up, I'd go with with an 8" Fostex, say the FE208ez, in one of the various rear loaded horn options. This is a simple filter-less single driver speaker, although you could add a super-tweeter later if needed. This driver is efficient and "gutsy"; plays loud without the sound field suddenly collapsing and going into distortion like the smaller fullrangers.

The other option is to go small and add a sub. The plus is that you have potentially smaller footprint and more flexibility in placement, albeit with the added complexity of another amp, high and low pass filters. Caveat, this is the path where you begin to think about speakers more than listening to the music.

I wanted to pursue the full range option, rather than involve cross-overs or complimentary subs. I have been researching this for a couple of months now and advice has led me to believe that a larger double mouth horn enclosure, with a single high-efficiency driver, should provide a cost-effective and aesthetically pleasing listening experience.

So I wanted to ask you to cast some votes as to which enclosure and driver I should go for!!!

A) Woden vulcan
B) Kirishima manifold horn enclosure

1) FOSTEX FE206-En2 8 inch (EnABL'd from DAve at Planet-10)
2) AUDIO NIRVANA - Super 8 CAST FRAME

I am thinking I'll skip the terminals and use hand braided litz solid core copper cables directly from the amp into the driver.

Any recommendations as to how to best connect the cables to the driver. I am vague on this but I read that adding a couple of components to filter the signal can be advantageous. I should re-iterate...I am a novice!

Currently playing "Double Nickels on the Dime" by the Minutemen...What a fantastic band!

Last edited by gsdurrant; 25th May 2012 at 02:42 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!