Air Volume for Dayton RS100-8 4" Reference Full Range Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I've recently set out on a journey of an awesome DIY Party Boombox. Love the Boominator stuff.. But I wanted a more compact unit.

I'm considering the Dayton RS100-8 4" Reference Drivers for my main sound. 4 of them, facing in 4 directions in a cubed box. My question is, looking at the website, what is the best sized box for them? I'm very new to specific terms and values, and my Google-Fu is failing me. I can't seem to find it. There's the Vas Value of .09 cubic feet. But that's just 1.08 Cubic Inches.. I assume that's the air it displaces, correct? Not the ideal box size??

Love the site.... Sooo much information.

I'm using Solidworks to model out my box for manufacture. Here are some Preliminary designs.

EDIT: Here's a link to the Spec Sheet.

Last edited:
Those cubic feet to liters always mess up my head, but it's more like 4*4*10 inches =2.5Liters if I am not mistaken. think of it more as a very important value for calculating enclosure. vas often give e good indication of optimum internal volume, but not always.

you would have to calculate optimum enclosure, but it would be small.

Last edited:
a cube would maybe work well if you made 4 separate volumes inside it, one for each driver, but a perfect cube is usually a very bad choice because of internal reflections, not to mention bracing would be difficult and you should really use at least 2 separate volumes for stereo signals.

have you looked at winisd? it is a good place to start for most.

Those cubic feet to liters always mess up my head, but it's more like 4*4*10 inches =2.5Liters if I am not mistaken. think of it more as a very important value for calculating enclosure. vas often give e good indication of optimum internal volume, but not always.

you would have to calculate optimum enclosure, but it would be small.

Yeah.. that's my problem.. I don't know which numbers to use. I can do all sorts of calculations and conversions. No problem there. I just need to find which numbers on the driver's spec sheet are the ones to go by.

If they're in the cube arrangement, could I simply build a 3" x 3" box inside? Again, Not sure of the optimum box dimensions.

Assuming sealed........0.36 cubic feet

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    21 KB · Views: 660
Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
If you just try out winisd it is really simple to calculate your own enclosure. You just choose own drivers, press new, and put in all the numbers from the drivers spec sheet, press ok, close, new project, select the driver you just put in, choose type of enclosure, adjust volume and tuning to your liking.

Or something like that, I'm at work now and there is no way I am allowed to use these computers for anything constructive.

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sorry about the bump.

If I liked cubes, i would make an X from corner to corner internally, make the height of the X shorter than the height of the cube, add another board on top of the X, mount batteries and a good tripath amplifier, seal up the holes with wires to the drivers with silicone, add rca sockets, volume control, connector for charger to the lid. Put the drivers smack in the middle of the sides, they would be nicely offset internally and they would have nice separate volumes inside if you sealed everything up properly.

Hello there. I just wanted to throw my 2 :2c: in on this driver from dayton audio. Well first off they really need alot of power to get them moving. Also they are very detailed meaning bright and they have no low end just like the 7 inch dayton audio. They are one of the worst fullrange drivers I have heard and have used. I took them to hi-fi shop and I put them next to the fostex fe 126en drivers and everyone really enjoyed the fostex and the dayton really left a bad taste in thier mouth. I was really shocked due to the nice speakers dayton had years ago.Please Don't get me wrong they are really nice and built very well but, the sound and the cones really make them a bad choice. That is why I am keeping the fostex and selling the daytons in a box they came in. Sorry if this is not what you wanted but, I just wanted to give you heads up. jm

Hello there. I just wanted to throw my 2 :2c: in on this driver from dayton audio. Well first off they really need alot of power to get them moving. Also they are very detailed meaning bright and they have no low end just like the 7 inch dayton audio. They are one of the worst fullrange drivers I have heard and have used. I took them to hi-fi shop and I put them next to the fostex fe 126en drivers and everyone really enjoyed the fostex and the dayton really left a bad taste in thier mouth. I was really shocked due to the nice speakers dayton had years ago.Please Don't get me wrong they are really nice and built very well but, the sound and the cones really make them a bad choice. That is why I am keeping the fostex and selling the daytons in a box they came in. Sorry if this is not what you wanted but, I just wanted to give you heads up. jm

Thanks a ton for the input. Are the Fostex comparably priced? I'm for sure open for suggestions.

Assuming sealed........0.36 cubic feet

Wow.. That's like 3 1/4" Cubed right?? I've designed this little wood matrix that will attach to the back of each panel to seal off the driver. Not sure it's going to be big enough.

I also have to fir the amp in there somewhere. I have a neat idea for attaching a rechargeable battery and separate Sub.

Something like this.

Thanks a ton for the input. Are the Fostex comparably priced? I'm for sure open for suggestions.

Well for a 3 inch fe 83en are $34.65 each and the fe 103en $43.80 each and the fe 126en my fav. in the fe line. They are $49.95 each. Now one of my fav. fostex 3 inch drivers are the newly ff 85wk are $37.85 each. The daytons are worse then some of the tang bands I have bought. If you like tang band then the 4 inch bamboo drivers are really nice. So its up to you. The fe 126en are 93 DB. and are really easy to run. That is why the hi-fi shop picked them over 85.6 DB for the daytons. Such a good company such a poor choice of design and though. I can give you the advise of the fullrange drivers I have and have used. The newest ones are the mark audio Alpair 6-p's I am breaking in right now and they are a really sweet little driver. So I hope this helps. jm

Well for a 3 inch fe 83en are $34.65 each and the fe 103en $43.80 each and the fe 126en my fav. in the fe line. They are $49.95 each. Now one of my fav. fostex 3 inch drivers are the newly ff 85wk are $37.85 each. The daytons are worse then some of the tang bands I have bought. If you like tang band then the 4 inch bamboo drivers are really nice. So its up to you. The fe 126en are 93 DB. and are really easy to run. That is why the hi-fi shop picked them over 85.6 DB for the daytons. Such a good company such a poor choice of design and though. I can give you the advise of the fullrange drivers I have and have used. The newest ones are the mark audio Alpair 6-p's I am breaking in right now and they are a really sweet little driver. So I hope this helps. jm

Wow... So much awesome info. Thanks a ton. This is my
First real DIY project, so I'm pretty sure I'll
Be stoked with anything decent. Thanks again!

Wow... So much awesome info. Thanks a ton. This is my
First real DIY project, so I'm pretty sure I'll
Be stoked with anything decent. Thanks again!

I could point you to a pair of mark audios? I am breaking apair of the alpair 6-ps in right now and they sound very natural and not bright so far:D. I am treating them like babys. They seems to be the easyest drivers I have had so far in breaking in:). Also Madisound has the chp-70-p On sale. The p stands for paper. I am looking at getting thoses for my next project for my daughters room with a small box. I would start off small then work your way up:up:. Jm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.