Air Volume for Dayton RS100-8 4" Reference Full Range Driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2012, 08:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Air Volume for Dayton RS100-8 4" Reference Full Range Driver

Hello everyone. I've recently set out on a journey of an awesome DIY Party Boombox. Love the Boominator stuff.. But I wanted a more compact unit.

I'm considering the Dayton RS100-8 4" Reference Drivers for my main sound. 4 of them, facing in 4 directions in a cubed box. My question is, looking at the website, what is the best sized box for them? I'm very new to specific terms and values, and my Google-Fu is failing me. I can't seem to find it. There's the Vas Value of .09 cubic feet. But that's just 1.08 Cubic Inches.. I assume that's the air it displaces, correct? Not the ideal box size??

Love the site.... Sooo much information.

I'm using Solidworks to model out my box for manufacture. Here are some Preliminary designs.

EDIT: Here's a link to the Spec Sheet.

Last edited by Leejin; 22nd May 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Those cubic feet to liters always mess up my head, but it's more like 4*4*10 inches =2.5Liters if I am not mistaken. think of it more as a very important value for calculating enclosure. vas often give e good indication of optimum internal volume, but not always.

you would have to calculate optimum enclosure, but it would be small.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 22nd May 2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:12 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

as to the question of unit conversions, I've been using this one for at least 10yrs, and it runs like a charm, but only in Windows/Unix

Convert for Windows - joshmadison.com

link to zip file of application:
http://files.joshmadison.com/convert.zip

pretty looking little driver - very reasonable price - but maybe consider revising enclosure dimensions to something different than a pure cube
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

[/QUOTE]pretty looking little driver - very reasonable price - but maybe consider revising enclosure dimensions to something different than a pure cube[/QUOTE]

Any reason for this? From a design standpoint? Or functionality??

Thanks for the links.
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

a cube would maybe work well if you made 4 separate volumes inside it, one for each driver, but a perfect cube is usually a very bad choice because of internal reflections, not to mention bracing would be difficult and you should really use at least 2 separate volumes for stereo signals.

have you looked at winisd? it is a good place to start for most.
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
Those cubic feet to liters always mess up my head, but it's more like 4*4*10 inches =2.5Liters if I am not mistaken. think of it more as a very important value for calculating enclosure. vas often give e good indication of optimum internal volume, but not always.

you would have to calculate optimum enclosure, but it would be small.
Yeah.. that's my problem.. I don't know which numbers to use. I can do all sorts of calculations and conversions. No problem there. I just need to find which numbers on the driver's spec sheet are the ones to go by.

If they're in the cube arrangement, could I simply build a 3" x 3" box inside? Again, Not sure of the optimum box dimensions.
Old 23rd May 2012, 05:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Assuming sealed........0.36 cubic feet
Attached Images
File Type: gif untitled.GIF (21.0 KB, 284 views)
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you just try out winisd it is really simple to calculate your own enclosure. You just choose own drivers, press new, and put in all the numbers from the drivers spec sheet, press ok, close, new project, select the driver you just put in, choose type of enclosure, adjust volume and tuning to your liking.

Or something like that, I'm at work now and there is no way I am allowed to use these computers for anything constructive.
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Sorry about the bump.

If I liked cubes, i would make an X from corner to corner internally, make the height of the X shorter than the height of the cube, add another board on top of the X, mount batteries and a good tripath amplifier, seal up the holes with wires to the drivers with silicone, add rca sockets, volume control, connector for charger to the lid. Put the drivers smack in the middle of the sides, they would be nicely offset internally and they would have nice separate volumes inside if you sealed everything up properly.
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:15 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hello there. I just wanted to throw my 2 in on this driver from dayton audio. Well first off they really need alot of power to get them moving. Also they are very detailed meaning bright and they have no low end just like the 7 inch dayton audio. They are one of the worst fullrange drivers I have heard and have used. I took them to hi-fi shop and I put them next to the fostex fe 126en drivers and everyone really enjoyed the fostex and the dayton really left a bad taste in thier mouth. I was really shocked due to the nice speakers dayton had years ago.Please Don't get me wrong they are really nice and built very well but, the sound and the cones really make them a bad choice. That is why I am keeping the fostex and selling the daytons in a box they came in. Sorry if this is not what you wanted but, I just wanted to give you heads up. jm

Hide this!Advertise here!