Dallas II vs Kirishima

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So it would be a good thing to take off the back too
What about giving to the lateral pannels of the mouth a C form? I see that it can be found in other Ron's cabinets.

Something like this -- i'd be temped to lose the greyed back corner too. If you are going to curve the mouth i'd extend the bottom.

dave

Attachments

• truncatedDallas.gif
    truncatedDallas.gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 733
Never been able to make 'hornresp' work..

Gafhenderson, could you make a similar spl response for the fe206en into the dallaII? Of course only if it does not take too much time to do so, otherwise don't consider my question. :)

Ervin

i've given up on the Dallas II as the plans are truly awful to read and most the angles listed on it aren't actually accurate, so you'd be doing a lot of fine sanding. i'd be happy to plug it into hornresp if you can get a reasonable overview of the horn path for me. i started making a 3d model of it and got annoyed and frustrated with the plans, so turned my attention to kirishima as its plans are very well presented.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
i've given up on the Dallas II as the plans are truly awful to read and most the angles listed on it aren't actually accurate

Windows ate all the original CAD plans leaving only a random collection of raster pdfs -- it has been successfully built from those a number of times. At some point someone will step up and redraw them... i redid Austin A126 (but it took a big push ($$) by another member)

dave

Windows ate all the original CAD plans leaving only a random collection of raster pdfs -- it has been successfully built from those a number of times. At some point someone will step up and redraw them... i redid Austin A126 (but it took a big push ($$) by another member)

dave

i was intending to actually redo them once i'd deciphered them. I was fairly annoyed by various other things that haven't gone right today, so i decided to relax by doing something that was easier to follow.

the kirishima's really aren't as big as you'd think are they? although i am using 3m(10ft) ceilings in that. I did a render of them for people to see. the AN8's are in that box but i'm not sure they'd work very well. still a bit grainy as i only let them render briefly.

i'll turn my attentions to the Dallas 2's and see if my patience can keep up.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
As I have gained a lot from being a member of diyaudio, so I will take on the challenge of re-drawing the Dallas 2 plans for the community.

Save your time - I did that yesterday, and Dave currently has the first rough DXF which was drawn on my steam-powered Autosketch 2.1 (vintage 1995) so there could be some problems with the vintage of DXF, and it doesn't export DWG.

There was some guessing and reconciliation of minor discrepancies in the PDF (missing dimensions, decimal rounding errors on cm metrics, and decimal fractional angles that might be hard to cut) For now all the dimensions, and optional cosmetic revisions have not been incorporated, but that wouldn't take all that much more time.
Also note that Ron's original sketch was based on 18mm material, and would require some adjustment for nominal 3/4" or 19mm.

Having drawn / redrawn / built more than a few hundred enclosures of various styles over the past few 15yrs, I'm confident of the accuracy of the drawing.

Save your time - I did that yesterday, and Dave currently has the first rough DXF which was drawn on my steam-powered Autosketch 2.1 (vintage 1995) so there could be some problems with the vintage of DXF, and it doesn't export DWG.

There was some guessing and reconciliation of minor discrepancies in the PDF (missing dimensions, decimal rounding errors on cm metrics, and decimal fractional angles that might be hard to cut) For now all the dimensions, and optional cosmetic revisions have not been incorporated, but that wouldn't take all that much more time.
Also note that Ron's original sketch was based on 18mm material, and would require some adjustment for nominal 3/4" or 19mm.

Having drawn / redrawn / built more than a few hundred enclosures of various styles over the past few 15yrs, I'm confident of the accuracy of the drawing.

thanks, you've got more patience than me.

its all the angles that are poorly and inconsistently represented that finishes me off. something like that with so many angular cuts needs placement coordinates. even if you've got the wrong angle all you need is the value of the longer side and where to put it, to then get the correct angle.

thanks, you've got more patience than me.

its all the angles that are poorly and inconsistently represented that finishes me off. something like that with so many angular cuts needs placement coordinates. even if you've got the wrong angle all you need is the value of the longer side and where to put it, to then get the correct angle.

well there's more than one way to skin a cat, but that's more or less why it took almost 4hrs to get it all the parts to fit

anyone seriously interested in this project can PM me - it wouldn't take too long to add dimensions to drawings as well as attach a DXF (note above caveat)

edit: actually, Dave will probably be providing a link to this updated drawing on the FH website within the next couple of days

Last edited:
thats much better! i'll put it together and upload this and the kirishima on the sketchup repositories (for the inquisitive) and post a few pretty renders of them next to each other.

thanks to you and chrisb.

that's why it's called "community"

prospective builders - feel free to eliminate the "void" cavities hatched in on earlier PDF as filled with sand, etc

and please do the design and drivers justice and use quality plywood, not MDF or stacked lamination, etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.