Dallas II vs Kirishima - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2012, 12:05 PM   #31
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

As I have gained a lot from being a member of diyaudio, so I will take on the challenge of re-drawing the Dallas 2 plans for the community.
Old 25th May 2012, 04:33 PM   #32
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippy View Post
As I have gained a lot from being a member of diyaudio, so I will take on the challenge of re-drawing the Dallas 2 plans for the community.

Save your time - I did that yesterday, and Dave currently has the first rough DXF which was drawn on my steam-powered Autosketch 2.1 (vintage 1995) so there could be some problems with the vintage of DXF, and it doesn't export DWG.

There was some guessing and reconciliation of minor discrepancies in the PDF (missing dimensions, decimal rounding errors on cm metrics, and decimal fractional angles that might be hard to cut) For now all the dimensions, and optional cosmetic revisions have not been incorporated, but that wouldn't take all that much more time.
Also note that Ron's original sketch was based on 18mm material, and would require some adjustment for nominal 3/4" or 19mm.

Having drawn / redrawn / built more than a few hundred enclosures of various styles over the past few 15yrs, I'm confident of the accuracy of the drawing.
Old 25th May 2012, 05:02 PM   #33
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ahhh
I was going to draw at half scale on paper, then go to Corel DRAW x5 or x6, the latter untried, mail to your self as pdf for pointers / corrections etc.
Old 25th May 2012, 06:18 PM   #34
mr ed is offline mr ed  United States
diyAudio Member

Does the newer Fostex EN driver work with these?

I would like to build a pair. I build the Austins and loved them in a small room.
I will have a much larger room when my new house in completed.

Thanks
Ed
Old 25th May 2012, 06:22 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Save your time - I did that yesterday, and Dave currently has the first rough DXF which was drawn on my steam-powered Autosketch 2.1 (vintage 1995) so there could be some problems with the vintage of DXF, and it doesn't export DWG.

There was some guessing and reconciliation of minor discrepancies in the PDF (missing dimensions, decimal rounding errors on cm metrics, and decimal fractional angles that might be hard to cut) For now all the dimensions, and optional cosmetic revisions have not been incorporated, but that wouldn't take all that much more time.
Also note that Ron's original sketch was based on 18mm material, and would require some adjustment for nominal 3/4" or 19mm.

Having drawn / redrawn / built more than a few hundred enclosures of various styles over the past few 15yrs, I'm confident of the accuracy of the drawing.
thanks, you've got more patience than me.

its all the angles that are poorly and inconsistently represented that finishes me off. something like that with so many angular cuts needs placement coordinates. even if you've got the wrong angle all you need is the value of the longer side and where to put it, to then get the correct angle.
Old 25th May 2012, 06:44 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
thanks, you've got more patience than me.

its all the angles that are poorly and inconsistently represented that finishes me off. something like that with so many angular cuts needs placement coordinates. even if you've got the wrong angle all you need is the value of the longer side and where to put it, to then get the correct angle.

well there's more than one way to skin a cat, but that's more or less why it took almost 4hrs to get it all the parts to fit

anyone seriously interested in this project can PM me - it wouldn't take too long to add dimensions to drawings as well as attach a DXF (note above caveat)

edit: actually, Dave will probably be providing a link to this updated drawing on the FH website within the next couple of days

Last edited by chrisb; 25th May 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 25th May 2012, 07:05 PM   #37
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Chris' DXF pened fine in Illustrator and in Vectorworks. I have already laid out all the pieces on top, so that is the much of the work to a drawing all done.

dave
Old 25th May 2012, 07:38 PM   #38
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
needs placement coordinates.
That is where i'm starting. I will leave rationalization to the nearest mm to the builder.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif dallas2-coords-snap.gif (31.6 KB, 412 views)
Old 25th May 2012, 08:17 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
That is where i'm starting. I will leave rationalization to the nearest mm to the builder.

dave
thats much better! i'll put it together and upload this and the kirishima on the sketchup repositories (for the inquisitive) and post a few pretty renders of them next to each other.

thanks to you and chrisb.
Old 25th May 2012, 08:23 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
thats much better! i'll put it together and upload this and the kirishima on the sketchup repositories (for the inquisitive) and post a few pretty renders of them next to each other.

thanks to you and chrisb.

that's why it's called "community"

prospective builders - feel free to eliminate the "void" cavities hatched in on earlier PDF as filled with sand, etc

and please do the design and drivers justice and use quality plywood, not MDF or stacked lamination, etc

Hide this!Advertise here!