Scan Sphere Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

after a long time without any diy audio project I felt the strong desire to create some new speakers for my desk :D

My last project was far bigger than this one (almost as tall as I am) - this time it is going to get a little bit smaller.

Since I never had a fullrange system in place, I thought of giving this type of speakers a chance. The other thing I really wanted to do for a long time was to build a sphere speaker.

After some research in the latest diy hifi magazines and the common diy audio forums, I decided to choose the Scan Speak 10F. I gathered a pair of almost new ones on ebay for a reasonable price. I also fell in love with a pair of sphere speakers from the sixties made by Telefunken - used to be a great brand in Germany in the last century.

So it happens that the name of my new project is Scan Sphere! :eek:

I know, some of you might consider modifying this old Telefunken speaker sacrilege. I have no scruples implanting new life in this bowls. The next picture shows how they look like:

They come on a very nice stand made of acryl glas.

The next pictures shows the 10F in front of the Telefunken speaker. The 10F seems quite tiny.

Now to my problem: I designed two ways of integrating the 10F in the sphere:

The first idea was to install the 10F similar to the way the old driver was installed. I would prepare some kind of waveguide in front of the driver. This version has the big advantage that the design of the speaker will not be changed. I also can use a cloth cover in front.

The second idea was to install the 10F as part of the sphere. This would possibly generate the best results regarding baffle distortions. The required flange could be made of (black) MDF or massive wood - up to one's own taste.

Do you see any disadvantages or show stoppers in my versions? Which one would you prefer? Classic look or perfect sphere?

Any comments are welcome ...

so long
Turner

The first idea was to install the 10F similar to the way the old driver was installed. I would prepare some kind of waveguide in front of the driver. This version has the big advantage that the design of the speaker will not be changed. I also can use a cloth cover in front.
I vote for this version. You want to keep the back of the 10F as open as possible. Especially to the sides. I don't see how you can achieve that for the second version without adding a subframe.
and upload pictures here ...
Definitely not. There is a nice attachment management in this forum. You just have to learn how to use it.

@Rudolf: why is it so important to keep the back of the 10F as open as possible? Do you think this has more effekt than the baffle on the outside?

Has someone an idea how I can get off the cloth from the front cover without damaging it? It is clued to a wooden ring. Since I cannot find a suitable cloth somewhere in the diy audio stores that looks nowhere near enough, I though about re-using the old cloth.

so long
Turner

nicd project, quite akin to the ikea bowl spheres that others have built, and i intend on trying at the next chance i get, using either alpair 5 or tangband 3". The mounting of the driver is my only stumbling block, but good venting to the rear of the driver is a good suggestion, as is a smooth transition from front to the sphere. I cant think of any better ideas than u have already :( ill keep my thinking cap on though

Last edited:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Finally, my waveguide distributor (aka Dad) has delivered. It is remarkable how he is short of time since he retired ...

I added a notch on the rear and painted it black. Next steps will be to fix the speaker and install some sealing.

Then I can make a direct benchmark with the original speaker setup and do some measuring with Hobbybox.

Turner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.