Seas Prestige FU10RB H1600-08 4" Full Range - new at Madisound - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Tom V is offline Tom V  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Seas Prestige FU10RB H1600-08 4" Full Range - new at Madisound

Madisound Speaker Store

Has anyone looked at this speaker? 1 liter VAS, 102Hz FS, .96 QTS. The 4 ohm version is similar, but the QTS is lower (.78). Frequency response drops very rapidly past 10,000hz.

What kind of cabinet would be suitable for this?
Old 17th May 2012, 04:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V View Post
Madisound Speaker StoreFrequency response drops very rapidly past 10,000hz.
I would guess the end of the graph is 20k. Doesn't look like it drops before 18.000 or so, unless you mean the off-axis graphs. But most full-rangers drop off-axis, don't they?
Old 17th May 2012, 04:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The top line on the graph (on axis?) is 88db at 7K, 83db at 10K and 75db at 20K. The specs say 100-20K with a sensitivity of 82.1db.

But I am just a noob in speaker design.
Old 17th May 2012, 06:01 AM   #4
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

It is a bit rolled off but chances are you are not going to miss it.
Old 17th May 2012, 06:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

So what kind of enclosure would be suitable for a speaker with a high QTS like this one?

I heard the Seas 8" full-range in an open baffle at Burning Amp and it was quite nice.
Old 29th August 2012, 09:04 PM   #6
RickH is offline RickH  United States
diyAudio Member

Default About the FU10RB

Hi Tom,

I am also interested in this driver but found little info. I emailed Seas and their reply follows - sounds like a small sealed cabinet is recommended. I might get a pair to try in a simple sealed cabinet, maybe try something a little more complicated later, assuming I can figure it out.

Rick

From Seas:

"Hi Richard,

This driver sounds really well, we are receiving a quite good feedback from our customers. I'm glad you decided to use it as well.

This driver is intended to be used as a full range driver for a compact system. We have built a prototype cabinet here of just 1liter and the measurements in the anechoic chamber revealed very good graphs. Since the FU10RB is a high Q driver, I do recommend to use a sealed box of 1 liter or more.

Some people use this driver accompanied by a woofer to get bit more lows when the big size of the final cabinet is not an issue.

I hope you find this information valuable.

have a nice day,

Diego Ivars
R&D Engineer"
Old 30th August 2012, 12:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have considered this driver on 2 different occasions in 2 different designs. Sorry to say I have not tried it yet. One design is an OB. The other is a 2-way utilizing an old Swan 305 with a fairly low cross point in the range of 80-400 Hz. Both designs show promise. Unfortunately I have for the time being ruled the driver out mostly for cost considerations. However, I ruled it out of the OB design because of the efficiency as well. The cost issue stems from the fact that I have a few 3”-4” full range drivers laying around that I can test design theory with for free. Not that I feel it is overpriced. I have utilized Seas drivers for many years and have found very few (a tweeter is the only one I can think of) that I had trouble working with. I am sure this 4” is no different. Sooner or later I will find a place for it because I think it is a “cool” little driver.
Old 30th August 2012, 01:34 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Low SPL, narrow bandwidth, high price! there are better choices out there! Just saying!
Old 30th August 2012, 02:35 AM   #9
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V View Post
What kind of cabinet would be suitable for this?
Historically, either an O.B., I.B. or TL with the latter normally providing the most usable gain BW plus it has the advantage of damping the drivers impedance peak considerably.

TL based on Fs/Qts [flattest response] = 106.25 Hz

28.56 H x 4 W x 3.375 D

Driver at closed end [top] and add damping distributed along its length as required till it sounds good to you, probably between 4-8 oz of polyfil. Space it up enough to get the driver at ~seated ear height, preferably attached to a massive base, so its not easily knocked over; or if desktop or similar positioning, just space it up enough to not block its open end.

For a true floor-stander, use the same WxD and make it ~57.125 tall with the driver down ~19.93 and probably will need to double the stuffing density. This yields an I.B. response except better damped.

In either design, all dims are i.d. [inside].

GM
Old 4th September 2012, 03:58 PM   #10
RickH is offline RickH  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Questions about the FU10RB TL

GM - thanks for the advice. So for this driver a box to the dimensions you specify, open-ended at the bottom, would constitute a TL enclosure with nothing in the box except the stuffing?

If this is correct, what would be the effect of attaching a larger heavy base to the bottom and having the same size opening at the front (or back) of the enclosure instead of the bottom?

Thank you,

Rick

Hide this!Advertise here!