Fostex FE108EZ floor stander - hi SAF/WAF - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2012, 02:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex FE108EZ floor stander - hi SAF/WAF

Hi - having a set of FE108EZ in bound I thought I'd poll opinion.

I need a high SAF speaker (Ariels are NFG) for general background/morning radio listening in a large space.

With the Fostex this rules out any T/S boxes so the Metronome looks like the best option - pipping a Frugelhorn variant on grounds of simplicity and similar output.

Any other recommendations? (Amplifier is likely to be JLH or similar)
Old 14th May 2012, 04:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

There probably isn't much to choose between the metronome and FH3 in terms of complexity (once you've factored the compound angles of the met' into the equation). Both work well, although whatever you do, dynamic range is going to be restricted in a large space with this driver -since you say it's for background / morning radio rather than critical listening, this probably won't be all that much of a big deal. FH3 may have a slight edge in terms of output & dynamic range.

The Factory horn design isn't too bad, and is reasonably elegant -at least Fostex seem to think so anyway, I seem to recall they describe it as a 'tall, case clock' style cabinet, which is a bit of a stretch, but you know where they're coming from. A fair number of parts, but no complicated angles, so they're a straightforward build. The defunct Gemme Audio Concerti 108 was essentially this enclosure TTBOMK, smoothed out for translam construction: if you have a look at their old page Magnolia 2.1 Samples | Welcome to Gemme Audio! you can even see it -it's the plywood box to the right hand side of the title banner. There are a few other enclosures, but these three are probably the easiest.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 14th May 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 14th May 2012, 04:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'd suggest BIBs. Tuck them into corners and enjoy.
Old 14th May 2012, 04:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I considered the BIB too, but if it's a big space, corners may be problematic (as in whether they are available and / or practicable). If so, it's certainly one for the option list.
Old 14th May 2012, 04:43 PM   #5
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

There's also the Aikos. I'm building them now with that same driver. They are little Spawn series back loaded double horns. They go down to 70 or so Hz. With this driver your not going to get much bass regardless or the box, excursion is tiny, I would suggest a high order high pass around 65 to 70 Hz to limit excursion. They were archived a week or two ago but the plans are around if your interested

Click the image to open in full size.

The picture makes them look bigger than they are, I can easily pick mine up one handed even with MDF

Quote:
SAF speaker (Ariels are NFG)
Thats a lot of abbreviations, care to enlighten me?
Old 14th May 2012, 04:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The Aikos appear to have a beautifully thought out interior. I wonder how the Woden Design Valiant designed for the fostex 126en would sound with the 108? BIBs with the 127e sounded very good in my old office measuring 16' x 13' with 11 foot high ceilings although I would not describe them as having lots of bass rather being balanced, detailed and natural sounding. They lit up the room with sound using the original Sonic Impact amp.
Old 15th May 2012, 12:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
SAF speaker (Ariels are NFG)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kctess5 View Post
Thats a lot of abbreviations, care to enlighten me?
I have a set of Lynn Olson's Ariels which have been restricted to the audio room - not enough Spouse Acceptance Factor (SAF) for the main room. (NFG - not fairly good, or something similar)

The main room is fairly large but I don't need large SPL or extra low bass. Indeed it's acoustically bright and the main function is background music and morning radio. And I can't bring myself to get the acoustimess the other half would like.
Old 15th May 2012, 01:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

either of the suggested designs should work well, if i recall correctly p10 has a cute design using a woofer to relieve the fostex of the extro low excursion eating low bass ( sdx7? tysen? )that design may be worth a look also.
Old 15th May 2012, 01:50 PM   #9
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

If it's just for morning radio and low background type use, and you are restricted to basically make them invisible as per SAF, then how about giving them a shot at an in wall install? If you wanted to take that further I'd try them in wall with helper woofers also in wall, and cut the lows out of the 108's and hand them off to the woofers.. All you need to do is be willing to cut a few small holes in your walls and make a baffle for the drivers, or not depending on how far you want to take it.. Practically invisible and no floor space is taken up, plus if you paint them same as room color they'll blend right in.. The 108 doesn't really speck out for IB, but if you cut the lows or just use it as you described then it should sound pretty good as its a nice driver
Old 15th May 2012, 10:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

+1with modern double layer and green glue construction would be particularly good for the purpose, id imagine.

Hide this!Advertise here!