The H Frame Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Because of their ugliness, my wife only let me have them up and working for a couple of weeks and we only used them for about 30 minutes at the competition meet.

The thing that surprised me most was the amount of bass for such a small speaker. I recorded some test tones 100, 90, 80, 70, 65, 60, 55, 50, 45, 40, 35, 30, 25 and 20 and I only noticed a real audible drop off about 30 though there was still significant output at 20. This was in my lounge room. At the competition, the speakers started to complain at about 60 so we stopped the tones before damaging the speakers, but this was a large room 38' x 38' and the volume was turned up.

Let's just say that the bass notes on a piano sounded full. If you are familiar with Rodrigo & Gabriela's music, these speakers had no problem with the lower notes.

The midrange was fine. For me, the problem came with the treble which sounded rolled off. If I could have played with them longer, I would have tried adding some tweeter support, possibly pointed upwards.

For me they threw a big sound stage in the big room we used for the competition, particularly in the orchestral music, but I didn't get that impression in my smaller listening room. They do have the single driver advantage of not needing a crossover and all of those problems.

Other than the rolled off treble, I really enjoyed them. Because of the shape of my listening room, I mostly listened to them well off access and they sounded as well as any other speaker I have had in the room (though there haven't been that many). I do think they need to have a largish room.

Still for a few bucks for the roofing felt, the double sided tape and some Great Stuff you can try building them yourself. If I ever get a more suitable listening room, I will try them again.

ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.