Cain Abby - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2012, 10:05 AM   #1
satie is offline satie  Greece
diyAudio Member

Question Cain Abby

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has ever managed to built an exact copy of the Cain&Cain Abby . I know it has been thoroughly discussed on Voigt Pipe threads, *but I cannot find*any information regarding the exact dimensions of the speaker and especially of the rounded port which interests me most.*
*I am really keen on building this one so any help/drawings selection of drivers (preferrably Fostex) would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you everyone.
Old 12th May 2012, 11:17 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The Abby was & remains a commercial product of Cain & Cain (Lovecraft Designs since Terry Cain sadly passed away in 2006), so unless you can physically measure a pair, you're not going to find any exact plans. A couple of general hints:

-Despite appearances the Abby is not, internally, an St=0 design (not that there's anything wrong with St=0 if it's done right).

-Terry claimed he selected the oval vent based on fluid air motion theory, although the exact dimensions will have been determined empirically, and primarily (possibly entirely) by ear. Terry made no bones about the fact that theoretical design bored him; he wasn't interested, didn't care, and prefered to use his ears.

-The external dimensions of Abby are freely available; as I recall, someone did a semi-clone which you might find lurking around here if you use the search facility; I think they called it, with tongue firmly in cheek, the Clabby.

-Going by memory, vent CSA is between 75% - 100% of Sd. But don't hold me to that.

-AFAIK, the oblate sphereoid suprabaffle was not designed with specific reference to bafflestep frequency; he sized it to be x number of inches over the size of the driver. Note I am not advocating any of this, just stating that that is, to the best of my knowledge, how Terry developed the Abby from a basis in Herbert Jeschke's / Lowther Club of Norway's 'Voigt Pipe', which was his first DIY full-range driver build.

Not a great deal of exact information, but might be of some use.
Old 12th May 2012, 08:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

2006. Wow, it doesn't seem that long ago.
Old 12th May 2012, 08:40 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
2006. Wow, it doesn't seem that long ago.

yes, echos of the ripple in the force haven't completely faded yet
Old 12th May 2012, 09:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

They probably won't -he wasn't someone you could easily forget, whether you agreed with him or not.
Old 14th May 2012, 02:27 AM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

I remember him most for our remembrances of our love/hate relationship with that most fickle of mechanical art, the '50s-60s era Alpha Romeros.

GM
Old 14th May 2012, 02:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

That's "Alfa"
Old 14th May 2012, 02:45 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah, yet another senior moment.
Old 14th May 2012, 02:52 AM   #9
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
I remember him most for our remembrances of our love/hate relationship with that most fickle of mechanical art, the '50s-60s era Alpha Romeros.

GM
...not to be confused with the 70's-80's era Spiders who's engine would punch the hood if you bottomed out going over a bump!

Btw i'm not so sure they changed much from the 50's-60's era either. In high school a guy from my class father gave him a Alfetta GT after he cracked up his Audi Fox. The father had a Lambo. I saw the car sitting by the dealership for service more then i ever saw it on the road. The guy got so fed up with it he traded it in for a detroit built American muscle car:\
Old 14th May 2012, 03:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Dunno, my Alfa experiences ended with a '67 Sprint Veloce GT, which was actually pretty reliable even with me often using the tach needle stop as a shift indicator. Little wonder it was so successful as a club racer. My earlier roadsters though taught me how to troubleshoot wiring, tune multiple carbs, repair manual trans, rebuild alum. motors, do brake jobs, suspension repair.........

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!