Mini Aion Design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2012, 05:31 AM   #1
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mini Aion Design

Hi all,

So I came up with a sort of rough design based off of the Sonido Aion because I love how it looks but those drivers are too hard to get and its too big for me. I want to use the Alpair 10 next, probably in the nearish-but-not-too-near future because I like its response and x-max and the fact that its not a whizzer cone. I know that this driver is very capable of some nice bass and I want to put it in a horn not the more common MLTLs I see with it

I just want some feedback on whether or not its worth more work or if there's something blatantly wrong with it.

I attached the rough HornResp model and the Autodesk Inventor model that I designed it on. I meant to include a 2.83v sim but I forgot and I can only use that computer at school. Its in quarter space btw

One thing I see wrong is that the horn 1w sensitivity (107 average) is much higher than the drivers listed sensitivity (87) and I don't know if that means that the bass will be over powering.

I was thinking that heavy stuffing could bring the horn sensitivity down to a more matched level, attenuate higher frequencies out the back and also smooth out the peaks

If anyone wants the list of different cross sections at different path lengths and all that specific information I'm happy to provide it and I will probably just post it anyway in the next day or too but I'm too tired to do it now

A few notes:
-The triangular cutout and baffle shape are purely aesthetic at this point, without baffle step etc consideration or anything.
- I guessed that with a small rectangular compression chamber like that reflections would be a problem so I added the triangular deflector to attempt to lessen that, but its not optimized as I don't know what the best shape might be
-I would high pass it around 38ish hertz for the excursion
-I am trying to make it a pretty easy build with only a few large pieces, i.e. few turns, the hardest part would be the baffle and the curved front but a router and jig saw could make quick work of both of those still
-I think it looks fantastic, so I'm holding out hope for this design

Any advice welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schematic.jpg (50.4 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg Response.jpg (71.4 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg Render.jpg (79.8 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg Input.jpg (92.1 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg Displacement.jpg (63.2 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg dim.jpg (156.3 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Delay.jpg (65.6 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by kctess5; 9th May 2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 9th May 2012, 07:57 AM   #2
jacozz is offline jacozz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hello!

Two things in Hornresp.

• "Eg" should be 2.83 (1 w)
• "Ang" should be 2.0 (if placed in the middle of the room), 1.0 (if placed by the backwall) or 0.5 (if placed in the corner).
Old 9th May 2012, 03:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah I meant to get that but i ran out of time in my engineering class. I'll post them as soon as possible though
Old 9th May 2012, 03:27 PM   #4
49 - for the 18th time - again!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctess5 View Post
Yeah I meant to get that but i ran out of time in my engineering class. I'll post them as soon as possible though
Are you getting any "extra credit" for this project in you engineering class?

OTOH - if you design doesn't work out well maybe you don't wanna go there.....

Very nice looking design - I hope you can get it to work....
Old 9th May 2012, 04:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Are you getting any "extra credit" for this project in you engineering class?
Haha of course not. My teachers not quite that nice. If she was I'd have far aboit 100% by now

Quote:
Very nice looking design - I hope you can get it to work....
Thanks, I'm hoping after I hve time to get the list of cross sectional areas and path lengths i can jave someone model it on mjks worksheets. I can't sum the driver response, baffle step, and horn response, stuffing and all of that... I'd like to get it working also, I'm pretty enamored with its looks
Old 11th May 2012, 12:03 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Alright a little update. I had my engineering class again so I made a few changes and also got the list of cross sectional areas and lengths etc. Its a bit flatter except for one pretty sizable peak around 130 Hz. I'm hoping that some heavy stuffing can mitigate that.

A high order high pass at 40Hz looks like it would be a good bet for excursion. But given that this driver has quite a lot of excursion capability I would bet these could make your ears bleed above their cutoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Response2.jpg (72.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Rendert2.jpg (63.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Input2.jpg (92.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Displacement2.jpg (63.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: png screen-capture-22.png (37.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 11th May 2012, 07:10 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

One reamrk: 2.0 placement - it will work like this if you place close to the wall. Because mouth is "in the air"? like 4.0.

It is not just theoretic conclusion, as I made both Aions and "sandwatch" sonido horns.
Old 11th May 2012, 07:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I remember seeing your build, that's what made me aware of the design actually, excellent job!

My room is pretty small so pretty much any reasonable place I might put it will be near a wall so i think half space is reasonable
Old 12th May 2012, 05:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know what space I should use for simulation?

My ceilings are standard 9' height, and the speakers are about 6 ft tall, with the top firing port. My room is pretty small, about 13' by 10' IIRC. Both the speakers less than a foot from a wall, listening position is extreme near field, ~ 3 to 4 feet from the cones.

I would guess that I should use 1.0 space, as they are definitely not 4.0pi full space, and close to 2.0pi space, but near the ceiling also so loaded on two walls pretty much

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!