Mini Aion Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

So I came up with a sort of rough design based off of the Sonido Aion because I love how it looks but those drivers are too hard to get and its too big for me. I want to use the Alpair 10 next, probably in the nearish-but-not-too-near future because I like its response and x-max and the fact that its not a whizzer cone. I know that this driver is very capable of some nice bass and I want to put it in a horn not the more common MLTLs I see with it

I just want some feedback on whether or not its worth more work or if there's something blatantly wrong with it.

I attached the rough HornResp model and the Autodesk Inventor model that I designed it on. I meant to include a 2.83v sim but I forgot and I can only use that computer at school. Its in quarter space btw

One thing I see wrong is that the horn 1w sensitivity (107 average) is much higher than the drivers listed sensitivity (87) and I don't know if that means that the bass will be over powering.

I was thinking that heavy stuffing could bring the horn sensitivity down to a more matched level, attenuate higher frequencies out the back and also smooth out the peaks

If anyone wants the list of different cross sections at different path lengths and all that specific information I'm happy to provide it and I will probably just post it anyway in the next day or too but I'm too tired to do it now

A few notes:
-The triangular cutout and baffle shape are purely aesthetic at this point, without baffle step etc consideration or anything.
- I guessed that with a small rectangular compression chamber like that reflections would be a problem so I added the triangular deflector to attempt to lessen that, but its not optimized as I don't know what the best shape might be
-I would high pass it around 38ish hertz for the excursion
-I am trying to make it a pretty easy build with only a few large pieces, i.e. few turns, the hardest part would be the baffle and the curved front but a router and jig saw could make quick work of both of those still
-I think it looks fantastic, so I'm holding out hope for this design

Any advice welcome :)

Attachments

• Schematic.jpg
    Schematic.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 441
  • Delay.jpg
    Delay.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 152
  • dim.jpg
    dim.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Displacement.jpg
    Displacement.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 400
  • Input.jpg
    Input.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 423
  • Render.jpg
    Render.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 440
  • Response.jpg
    Response.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
Are you getting any "extra credit" for this project in you engineering class?

Haha of course not. My teachers not quite that nice. If she was I'd have far aboit 100% by now :D

Very nice looking design - I hope you can get it to work....

Thanks, I'm hoping after I hve time to get the list of cross sectional areas and path lengths i can jave someone model it on mjks worksheets. I can't sum the driver response, baffle step, and horn response, stuffing and all of that... I'd like to get it working also, I'm pretty enamored with its looks

Alright a little update. I had my engineering class again so I made a few changes and also got the list of cross sectional areas and lengths etc. Its a bit flatter except for one pretty sizable peak around 130 Hz. I'm hoping that some heavy stuffing can mitigate that.

A high order high pass at 40Hz looks like it would be a good bet for excursion. But given that this driver has quite a lot of excursion capability I would bet these could make your ears bleed above their cutoff

Attachments

• Response2.jpg
    Response2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Rendert2.jpg
    Rendert2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Input2.jpg
    Input2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Displacement2.jpg
    Displacement2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 46
  • screen-capture-22.png
    screen-capture-22.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 42
Does anyone know what space I should use for simulation?

My ceilings are standard 9' height, and the speakers are about 6 ft tall, with the top firing port. My room is pretty small, about 13' by 10' IIRC. Both the speakers less than a foot from a wall, listening position is extreme near field, ~ 3 to 4 feet from the cones.

I would guess that I should use 1.0 space, as they are definitely not 4.0pi full space, and close to 2.0pi space, but near the ceiling also so loaded on two walls pretty much

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.