diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   el cheapo diablo t line unsimmed experiment (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/212339-el-cheapo-diablo-t-line-unsimmed-experiment.html)

mondogenerator 8th May 2012 12:32 PM

el cheapo diablo t line unsimmed experiment

i plan to make a rough n ready tube tl, a la linkwitz designs. The tube is 1.2m long 47 inch, and 3 inch ID. i get a tuning of around 70hz. Now being as it isnt going to be optimal, according to MJK tables due to qts and vas, and the tube CSA likely too small, what effect on response should i expect? Im imagining that with a smaller than ideal CSA, that a humped response around resonance would occur. Am i right in thinking this?

IG81 8th May 2012 01:51 PM

What driver do you plan to use, some cheap 3" TB or Aura?

FWIW, the Zu Druid had a tiny CSA for its 10" driver, maybe the latter's parameters do want a small CSA, but it looks barely larger than Sd. I've never heard this speaker, just noticed this characteristic.

I once made a 4" I.D. ABS pipe line for some 4" JVC drivers, IIRC tuned close to their Fs of ~110Hz. Qts was high on these, ~0.7. It didn't do too well in my case.

IG

Scottmoose 8th May 2012 02:34 PM

On a laptop at present & v. little time, but FWIW:

Sd has no practical corrolation with pipe CSA. All other things being equal if you choke pipe cross section / volume down relative to what the driver wants to 'feel', you'll reduce its gain BW.

mondogenerator 8th May 2012 02:59 PM

i have mini experiments planned for alpair5 grey, and tb w3-1285sg, so the el cheapo is only regarding the card tube! They both have radically different values of qts, and probably vas also, i cant recall at present. I would imagine that the higher qts of the A5 would choke up the bass, as i think the driver requires a greater pipe CSA, or volume behind the driver.
@scott i appreciate that feeling, hectic doesnt seem strong enough to describe my life right now, a week to go til my OH reaches her due date...lol

Scottmoose 8th May 2012 09:39 PM

That's a good reason. Congrats. to all concerned. :)

chrisb 8th May 2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mondogenerator (Post 3016313)
@scott i appreciate that feeling, hectic doesnt seem strong enough to describe my life right now, a week to go til my OH reaches her due date...lol

if you thought things were hectic before the due date, this must be your first?

mondogenerator 10th May 2012 07:46 PM

haha thanks guys. Yes hes my first, born yesterday :Dbut im already busy with part time degree and full time work, and about 4 speaker projects on the go. Beats having too much time on my hands though!

chrisb 10th May 2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mondogenerator (Post 3019090)
haha thanks guys. Yes hes my first, born yesterday :Dbut im already busy with part time degree and full time work, and about 4 speaker projects on the go. Beats having too much time on my hands though!

congrats - each completed project adds 2 more to the "to do list"

tuxedocivic 10th May 2012 08:04 PM

Cool and congratulations! Have fun :)

zman01 10th May 2012 08:16 PM

Congratulations! :)