Coral Holey, what to do? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2012, 07:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Coral Holey, what to do?

I purchased two Sony TC-500 tape recorders at a very low cost. The plan is to use the amplifier parts to build two new amps. Both recorders amps work fine as-is and sound pretty sweet with the coral holeys (opened the backs of the enclosures and removed stuffing). With the current amp, a 6aq5 SE the system is surprisingly loud. I would like to make new enclosures but one of the pairs has stiffer surrounds (150hz fs). The other pair has soft surrounds and are giving me around 90hz fs.

So two questions;

For the 150hz pair, can someone recommend an inexpensive small woofer that could be used only to assist the bottom end? The plan is to give away the systems to my family. I could potentially bi amp the speakers as the tc500 output transformer has a 600 ohm tap that could be used to feed something like a small class d amp.

Second, is the 90hz fs low enough to put the other pair in a small horn loaded enclosure? Or maybe a small BR enclosure?

Thanks

Alfredo
Old 8th May 2012, 03:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

bump
Old 10th May 2012, 04:44 PM   #3
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

For the stiff pair, the easiest solution might be a pair of inexpensive subs (pre-made from PE) ala the Bottlehead S.E.X.y speakers. For the better pair, do you have enough room for BIBs?

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers
Old 10th May 2012, 07:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Paul,

The plan is to give these away, so the smaller the better. The cheap powered woofer for the stiff one is not a bad idea. Possibly attaching a front baffle and running the speakers in OB.

I have been eyeing the frugel horn MKIII, maybe that works. I have a complete woodshop in my garage so I can build pretty much anything.

Alfredo
Old 10th May 2012, 07:50 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avincenty View Post
Thanks Paul,

The plan is to give these away, so the smaller the better. The cheap powered woofer for the stiff one is not a bad idea. Possibly attaching a front baffle and running the speakers in OB.

I have been eyeing the frugel horn MKIII, maybe that works. I have a complete woodshop in my garage so I can build pretty much anything.

Alfredo

FH3 is as good a candidate as any for a BLH approach for the lower Fs pair (need I reiterate the disclaimer of "see signature below"? ), but you would likely want to contemplate powered woofer(s) - and maybe build with the top removable to allow for easy access to "tune" damping fill levels by ear - that way if the Corals don't quite make the grade, at least there's a wide range of other drivers known to work well in the enclosure.
Old 10th May 2012, 08:05 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Many pairs of these i've had have had SSS (stiff surround syndrome), which makes them useful only as mid-tweeters. I would put them in a small sealed or aperiodic enclosure with a woofer each. XO will need to be <200 Hz.

The Fs of the other pair puts them very close to where they were new and should be gems. FH3 is a good candidate for these, Aiko another. Solo 103 or Fonken103 for small enclosures.

dave
Old 10th May 2012, 08:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks chris, dave

How about the MKII? I have a new pair of 126n that I could use if the corals dont pan out. Are the corals worth a try over the 126's?

Alfredo

Last edited by avincenty; 10th May 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10th May 2012, 08:29 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

MkII what?

dave
Old 10th May 2012, 08:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
MkII what?

dave
Frugel horn mk 2?