4 x CHBW + RBT95SQ Ribbon Tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scott (Scottmoose) has recently sent me plans for a smaller version of my Edingdale speakers. Ta Scott, after some slight re-drafting of your initial plans I think the end result is the dogs :cool:.

These I shall be naming 'The Rossendales' to keep in with the 'Dales' theme of speakers.

These new cabinets are intended for 4 x Markaudio CHBW + Monacor RBT95SQ Ribbon tweeter. For those that are unfamiliar with the CHBW-70 gen1 drivers, these are a development of the CHR70 specifically designed for best low to midrange performance. Details can be found on the MA web site Markaudio

Should be an interesting project and depending on performance, who knows ;) :D

Though these speakers have been designed by Scott (Scottmoose), I'm not sure whether these in a slightly different cabinet will be offered as a planpack by Planet10 but if these perform anywhere near that of their larger brethren they should be a hit. :D

I do know that DaveD is working on a similar project but using 5 x CHBW + ERT26 (T#3) in a 3-way design. So keep an eye out for these when they get published.

In keeping with my 'keep it simply' philosophy the Rossendales will be a 2-way design as my Edingdales and to a large extent using the same XO but tweaked for the CHBW.

To date I've only drafted up the plans and have the basic 18mm ply panels CNC cut. To compare size for size against the Edingdales see the image below.

It is hoped to have the basic bare speakers ready for the Audio-Talk DIY meet at Owston later this month but that depends on many factors so don't quote me on that any who attend this meet and I don't have them with me, hey;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Collin,
Very nice work. Just to let you know the latest driver consignment has just arrived (literally) at my HK distribution warehouse. Yours are on these pallets (see pic). Will be doing the re-packing and shipping out all next week.

Cheers
Mark.

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 545
Hi Mark,
great news. Just hope UK Tax man doesn't hit me hard but something that cannot be avoided in this current economic client, so the |UK taxman wants every penny he can suck from us poor punters!:mad:

I think I'm gonna have to work double shifts to get these built what with all that I have on at present, but I'm not complaining ;)

This is NOT a 2.5 way design. It's a simple 2-way as stated in my opening post.

All 4-CHBW will be wired together series/parallel to maintain a nominal 8-ohm load and OX to the ribbon at 3.5KHz. This is how my Edingdales are wired, but they use 4 x MA W#6 (CSS EL166). I should be able to use the same XO from that design but just modify the Zobel Circuit (Impedance Stabilization) on the CHBW's to suit this driver parameters.

Hence my comments 'keep it simple' ;)

Hi Mark,
great news. Just hope UK Tax man doesn't hit me hard but something that cannot be avoided in this current economic client, so the |UK taxman wants every penny he can suck from us poor punters!:mad:

I think I'm gonna have to work double shifts to get these built what with all that I have on at present, but I'm not complaining ;)

As your a business you can offset the import duties.

clk230 wrote
As your a business you can offset the import duties.

Agreed. But only if I was a UK VAT Registered Company, of which I'm not.

zman01
DaveD and 3 way in one line - sure it's not a typo? :D

NO. DaveD is having a forray into the dark side of multi-way speakers:eek::crazy: perhaps he feels a need to venture away from single driver FR speakers that do, in some ways, have their limitations.

Anyway no doubt Dave will explain his reasoning when he gets around to making these. Or more like should I say when Chrisby gets around to building the cabinets.

Hi Paul,
As you say the recommended XO is 5kHz, but if you check out the published FR for the ribbon it is still at around 97dB at 3.5kHz. I considered that was the lowest usable frequency of the ribbons which are a published 98dB efficiency and at that point on the MA Woofer#6 (CSS EL166) FR plots there is still no apparent sign of cone break up. Looking at the woofer FR plot I wouldn't want to XO any higher than 4kHz. Checking out the FR plots for the CHBW they appear to nicely XO at the same frequency. I am therefore going to use the same XO in this design and see how it goes. However, I must say I haven't noticed any issues with the ribbons at this XO frequency so the proof of the pudding is in the trying.

I use a second order XO on the ribbon and also a adjustable L-Pad rather than fixed resistor L-Pad. I have found this a useful feature as I find changing from vinyl to CD source I sometimes need to adjust the treble attenuation a little down for some over harsh CD recordings.

Attachments

• Ribbon Tweeter.pdf
    21.8 KB · Views: 80
Hi Toppsy,

I would recommend caution, at 3.5 kHz the maximum power rating is way lower, and you have to consider that the speaker doesnt stop at the xo point. It has to provide some reasonable good quality sound 2 octaves below the xo point. (for the tweeter)
(and of course the opposite for the woofers)
The L pad helps with the power rating....

Paul

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Anyway no doubt Dave will explain his reasoning when he gets around to making these. Or more like should I say when Chrisby gets around to building the cabinets.

I've always hankered to do this kind of 3-way. I have the drivers. DaveR has done the hard part of the XO. It is not going to be easy to get Chris excited enuff to build the boxes.

dave

Re Colin's choice of XO, I haven't heard it, but I do know that everyone who has (it's essentially the same as he uses in his larger Edingdales) likes the results. So while technically speaking I'd agree it doesn't appear ideal, I defer to their practical experience. One day, hopefully I'll get to hear a pair.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.