FF165WK/FF225WK/FE166en - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2013, 10:16 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shearer View Post
Dynablasterstuners,
I rather doubt I would like the poly cone of the TB W5. At least my experience so far is that I am more of a paper cone guy.
I have Coral Flat 5II papercone, and this polypropilene TB is on the same sonic level
Old 25th March 2013, 08:57 PM   #32
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

inrank
How did you find the Jericho? I am thinking about building a slightly modified Jericho 08. The 08 has a very similar horn flare and fold to the original one but the driver is in the flare not a chamber and it also has a internal helmholz resonator. I built a Lowther A115 cabinet using a Philips 9710 driver and was very disapointed with no bass what so ever below 80 hz and that shouty 9710...
Old 25th March 2013, 09:17 PM   #33
inrank is offline inrank  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBoar View Post
inrank
How did you find the Jericho? I am thinking about building a slightly modified Jericho 08. The 08 has a very similar horn flare and fold to the original one but the driver is in the flare not a chamber and it also has a internal helmholz resonator. I built a Lowther A115 cabinet using a Philips 9710 driver and was very disapointed with no bass what so ever below 80 hz and that shouty 9710...
I really liked them, very dynamic and fast/punchy bass but not very deep considering the imense size.
I really liked the old FF-225K, VERY smooth in the treble too!

I have actually managed to source a pair of Veravox 5S drivers again now!
Old 28th April 2013, 07:26 PM   #34
howardg is offline howardg  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Foster 10F3 with a helper woofer/tweeter

I posted earlier here about a proposed build using a full range Fostex with an old 10 JBL LE10a woofer.

Now I have rediscovered a pair of old radio shack speakers that I had hung up years ago in our little barn before I even knew about Fostex full range drivers. I looked up, and my imagination lit up! I pulled down one of these speakers and discovered that it contained the Foster 10F3 with the horse shoe shaped steel around the little (alnico?) magnet(suggestions/corrections about magnet structure terminology would be appreciated). Guessing that these are from the late 1960's.?

I listened to one of these Solo 103 speakers, on music and test tones. The general sound is a little more real or natural than the Fostex fe126e, that I like, and have listened to a lot. The Solo 103 seems to start to roll off on the low end at about 300-400 hz, but is still pretty strong at 250hz or so. In overall tone it is quite similar to the fe126e (built about 35 years apart) . At the top end, the RS Solo 103/Foster10F3 seems to start to roll off somewhere below 10k hz. On a tone sweep it sounds very smooth from 300 to 8k.

I earlier posted about wanting to build a 2 or 3 way with a Fostex full range speaker(as mid or mid/high) covering as much of the range as possible. These 10F3's are sweet sounding but are rated at 3 watts/10watts max. I think that they must be about 90 db efficient above 350hz, guessing from how loud they sound next to my existing speakers.

3 Questions:

Here is the main question
: If the lower crossover point was 500hz with 12db/octave rolloff, how much power could the system handle, if it was being limited by the power handling of the Foster 10F3? (I plan on using an 8ohm JBL LE10a from the mid 1960's, and I think it is rated for 75 watts. I believe it is about 89db efficient). I want to be able to play the system fairly loud when I get the itch.

Question: Would a resistor on the Foster 10F3 help with woofer baffle step, and thus also with power handling? How much reduction in output does a 10ohm resistor in series make?

Another question:Somewhere on one thread or another here, somebody spells out how much power it takes to reproduce given bands of the audio frequency, relative to one another-with the bass requiring much more than the mids, does anyone remember where that may be here on diyaudio?

Hide this!Advertise here!