diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   lowther dx3 in sachico (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/211822-lowther-dx3-sachico.html)

slr 5000 30th April 2012 10:19 AM

lowther dx3 in sachico

hi all
is a lowther dx3 a good choice for the frugal horns sachico cabinets

i also have the veravox 7x and decware df8r and am hoping to try these as well

any other suggestions would also be welcome , frugal bruce maybe ?
cheers

Scottmoose 30th April 2012 10:32 AM

Sachiko was superseded by the updated / revised Kirishima a few months ago. It's for the FE206En, but you can of course try other units at your own risk. I suspect the DX3 will work acceptably, but don't hold me or the cabinet responsible if you don't like the results. ;) Drive units ideally should go in cabinets that are designed for them. It does have raw size on its side, making it rather more flexible (within reason) than smaller enclosures.

Bruce was designed for the defunct FE207E, and is completely obsolete, like all the archived boxes, and will be removed when Dave has sufficient time to continue with the much needed revisions to the frugal-horn site. I wouldn't personally care to try a DX3 in it.

slr 5000 30th April 2012 10:42 AM

thanks scott
i have not seen the kirishima ,is it on the frugal site?

at least i can use the decware driver if all else fails as it is a modified 206e if i understand correctly

cheers Sheafer

*found the kirishima looks great many thanks *

talaerts 30th April 2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottmoose (Post 3006255)
Bruce was designed for the defunct FE207E, and is completely obsolete, like all the archived boxes, and will be removed when Dave has sufficient time to continue with the much needed revisions to the frugal-horn site. I wouldn't personally care to try a DX3 in it.

I would advocate against removing the older plans, rather, I suggest to label them as "Archive - for out of production drivers". They may still come in handy for people with old drivers, or who buy them 2nd hand.

Scottmoose 30th April 2012 11:45 AM

Glad you found it. No, not on the FH site yet. Time is the problem.

Re archived, some already are. Trouble is that not all the old boxes are necessarily as capable as the new ones, and that the 'archive' moniker is often forgotten / missed. What we're hoping to do when time permits is pull all the old designs from the site, but still list them in the archive section as available on request.

atilsley 4th May 2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slr 5000 (Post 3006270)
thanks scott
i have not seen the kirishima ,is it on the frugal site?

at least i can use the decware driver if all else fails as it is a modified 206e if i understand correctly

cheers Sheafer

*found the kirishima looks great many thanks *

Hi sheafer.

I've built numerous blh horns for lowther and fostex....

I'm in Sydney, but recently provided earle weston in Vic with a pair of large horns.

I've enjoyed the dx3 in various configs.

Regards

Andrew.
Sydney

slr 5000 4th May 2012 08:35 AM

hi Andrew ,from aslan ?

thanks for the responce .i dont know what to expect of horns as i have never heard any before (or lowther)

the dx3 does seem like a safe bet though many good reviews

do you think there would be much difference between the dx3 and decware df8r to justify the outlay ? iyho of course

anyway thanks for taking the time to answer my post

cheers Sheafer

atilsley 4th May 2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slr 5000 (Post 3011234)
hi Andrew ,from aslan ?

thanks for the responce .i dont know what to expect of horns as i have never heard any before (or lowther)

the dx3 does seem like a safe bet though many good reviews

do you think there would be much difference between the dx3 and decware df8r to justify the outlay ? iyho of course

anyway thanks for taking the time to answer my post

cheers Sheafer

Hi

No, not Andrew from Aslan....though I know him well.

I dabble in horns for Lowther, Tannoy, Altec etc.

Have built bass horns for GOTO...plus quite a few large Tannoy bass horns.

I started with full-rangers...and just went from there. At present, I'm enjoying my own built two-way 'klipsch' Cornscala's from Bob Crites.

Also building a massive bass horn based on the Bill Fitzmaurice design.

I can't comment on the Decwar/Fostex driver...though I appreciate where they are coming from, and the mods look excellent. Having had 206E's in many cabinets, I'd say any additional tweaking is good...on an already good driver...probably the best bang-for-buck driver around, IMHO.

The Lowther DX3 will give great overall presence/attack/detail.

On another thread here, you see my C-Horn, which provides for massive bass response for the 8-inchers.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...n-project.html

Regards