Suitable Speakers for 3+3watt tube amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2012, 12:48 AM   #11
oaleman is offline oaleman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtaljo View Post
I am thinking of building the Mullard 3+3watt stereo amplifier and would welcome suggestions for suitable speakers either built or in kit form. The set up would be for an average sized lounge and listening to classical music without rocking the foundations!

My reading so far suggests i should look for speakers with above 90dB sensitivity and preferably 95dB. A further restriction is that the speakers should be 'domestically acceptable' which means small floor standing cabinets.

I've spent hours surfing the net on this topic but am left in confusion. Any help greatly appreciated.
Hi I'm thinking of building these and they might work for you too being 93db but the input wattage is 15 not sure if you would be under power with your 3watt amp maybe you can bump it up a bit, I'm new to this too so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but these speaker look to have lots of potential.

Fostex BK-12m Folded Horn Kit - Pair: Madisound Speaker Store
Old 26th April 2012, 06:51 AM   #12
xtaljo is offline xtaljo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I should have specified that the lounge is about 15' x 12' and 'domestically acceptable' means something much more like Oaleman's suggested BK-12m cabinet with a maximum foot-print of about 8" x 14". I know this is a very restrictive spec. but one or two other suggestions would be welcome particularly with a 6" driver.

Incidentally the BK-12m plans are very detailed and great for free so many thanks for that.

The massive horns (photo.) would generate slightly more than a raised eyebrow!
Old 26th April 2012, 07:04 AM   #13
xtaljo is offline xtaljo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

PS The rated input of the Fostex FE126En is 15 watts. This is considerably less than the Mullards rated output of 3 watts. But am I right in thinking that 50 years ago when the Mullard was designed wattage ratings were RMS and today's ratings are nearer to peak to peak? So maybe the Mullard amp's output would be satisfactory with these drivers.

I fear I may have unleashed another controversy with my (ill informed?) mentionof rms and peak to peak measurements!
Old 26th April 2012, 01:38 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default typically most of your listening will be done with less than 1 watt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtaljo View Post
But am I right in thinking that 50 years ago when the Mullard was designed wattage ratings were RMS and today's ratings are nearer to peak to peak? So maybe the Mullard amp's output would be satisfactory with these drivers.
You don't really need to worry about the wattage ratings of the drivers in your application, as the rated or max power ratings reflect an upper sustained power limit where over time the voice coil can overheat, melting it's varnish insulation and shorting. At a sustained 15W input, these lightweight-coned, high sensitivity speakers will have all kinds of other limits being met or exceeded.

With 3W rms to play with, it's all about sensitivity.

Back in the day, these small amps were used to drive very large horn-loaded speakers in movie theaters, etc since 3-4 watts was state of the art. Very large horn loaded drivers can be very sensitive, approaching or exceeding 100db. Google Altec, klipsh, etc.

With reasonably sensitive speakers, most of you listening will be done with less than a watt or so, except for transients like drum hits, loud bass notes, etc.
Old 26th April 2012, 04:51 PM   #15
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

yes, the BK12 is nifty little performer, probably meets DAF, and while the little Mullard into the FE126E won't break any windows, it will certainly play satisfactorily loud enough for a lot of folks in an "average sized lounge"

OTOH, if you have the extra required floor space and can position them symmetrically in relation to corners, the FH3 with FE126E will develop a much more spacious soundstage, as well as more weight and dynamics in the bass.
Old 26th April 2012, 07:34 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hmmm..... small foot print? WAF? 6" driver?

How about a Metronome with a Fostex FF165wk? 92 dB sensitivity may be enough for a 3 wpc amp. And I have found that females seem to like to look of Mets.

Photo shows my FE167e Mets standing in front of FE108eSigma Mets.

Cheers, Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 167Met-1.jpg (45.4 KB, 188 views)
Old 26th April 2012, 07:45 PM   #17
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

I plan on building these modest sized speakers to use with my Fi 2A3 amp:

http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/Pensi...lan-180412.pdf

Alpair 12P Gen. 2 (paper cone)
Old 26th April 2012, 07:57 PM   #18
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shearer View Post
Hmmm..... small foot print? WAF? 6" driver?

How about a Metronome with a Fostex FF165wk? 92 dB sensitivity may be enough for a 3 wpc amp. And I have found that females seem to like to look of Mets.

Photo shows my FE167e Mets standing in front of FE108eSigma Mets.

Cheers, Jim

I really should build a set of these, just to recalibrate my ears to something different - in other words: "Chris, when will you stop fonken around?"

still can't resist a cheesy pun
Old 26th April 2012, 09:29 PM   #19
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

3 watts per channel is not a lot to play with. My plan would be as high
efficiency as possible speakers and line level EQ to flatten the response.

A small footprint (8"x14") does limit things, especially the size of the
driver, and simply the bigger it is, and the bigger the cabinet, the
more efficiency you can expect for a given level of decent bass.

i'd recommend an 8" driver in a tall floorstanding vented box.
From the UK specifically the Seas FA22RCZ.

H1597-08 - SEAS FA22RCZ 8” full range driver - Europe Audio
http://seas.no/images/stories/presti...cz_appnote.pdf

It needs line level filtering for flat response. Its usually done with
a parallel inductor + resistor in series with the driver, but done line
level your amps will sound like 10W+ in the upper range, such an
arrangement is not to be sneezed at with very limited power.

It models very well in a ~ 60L 2cuft box tuned to 33Hz.
(Seas recommend sealed, fair enough for a lot of power,
but here the vented box doubles the output in the bass.)

rgds, sreten.
Old 26th April 2012, 10:03 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

You might find this tool useful:
Amplifier Power Required Calculator

Example:
2m listening distance for a modest level of 75db with 20db headroom with 88db sensitivity (high for real world small speakers, manuf rated at 90db) requires 20 watts.

Hide this!Advertise here!