Mass loaded tqwt for Beyma 8ag/n - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2012, 03:59 AM   #1
bubuxxl is offline bubuxxl  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default Mass loaded tqwt for Beyma 8ag/n

Hi guys

Im starting to feel bad about asking so many questions and advices, as Im a little bit short on knowledge but here it goes...

I had the Beyma 8ag/n on the famous "viech" BLH and it just didnt work out for me unfortunately. I became a fan of full range drivers and appreciate its advantages, but there was no bass at all.

However, I know of somebody who tried the beymas in a mass loaded tqwt and bass wise, it is known to be a completely different story!
Unfortunately, I cant find plans to try it for myself. Is there any way I can calculate dimensions or details on construction?

I have very limited experience and generally, I just follow plans and build stuff. Is there an easy way to do this?
If there is a software, is it easy enough for me to understand? I mean, I have no knowledge on the subject...

Thank you in advance for any replies!
Old 25th April 2012, 04:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can try many kinds of acoustic loads for it , but the Beyma specifications say it (all):
with 30/70 W power handling and the major sensitivity located in the mid-hi regions ,whatever kind of music program will be 'executed' with that kind of response , dictated by high ( 60 Hz ) Fs , low excursion ( being the suspension 'stiff' or tough ), so the mass of air inside the cabinet would hardly cooperate with the cone movement .
A different loudspeaker ,projected for having different Cms, Vas ,Xmax etc etc Motor ,membrane ,voice coil would then produce better bass ; nowadays that is easily achieved by having in the end a low sensitivity speaker ,though it may be not suited to work in TL !
Old 25th April 2012, 04:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I know its hard to squeeze some bass out of the darn things, but according to diyer Jon Agner, it works, because he has tried it.
Unfortunately, Ive never managed to ask him the plans for it, just that they were calculated with MJKs software.

Im going to try some other speakers in the viech box, but in the meantime, the cheapest way for me is to invest in another kind of acoustic load with this driver.
Old 25th April 2012, 05:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I believe that a 'soft' suspension loudspeaker would do the thing easily.
It's cheaper and more rewarding , classifying the product as a first step
for entering 'hi-fi' , as you can do as many experiments as you want , but the robustness and solidity of a low bass note ...is defined as it is !
Then , you just pay 10 each 10 W in progression , ranging from 40 to 200 !!
What you pay for ? Just different driver construction for keeping up with the power , and that starts from the wire in the voice coil , the voice coil itself ,etc etc . I'm putting it also from a point of view of the 'magical side' of technology ,which may have these potions to produce the effect .
BLH is another kind . It produces some sound by directing the back wave trough an increasing volume of air , then sums the product to the front wave , and there's some delay due to the distance ( different path ) ,which may cause
some cancellations and similar effects
Old 25th April 2012, 11:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your considerations, really.
Nothing but bad news here for me as always.
Gotta start choosing more expensive stuff.
I better feed the damn beymas to the dogs.
Old 26th April 2012, 06:42 AM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubuxxl View Post
However, I know of somebody who tried the beymas in a mass loaded tqwt and bass wise, it is known to be a completely different story!
OK, is it documented? How much bass? I mean this driver's published specs limits usable box loading only down to around ~105*1.15/2 = 60.4 Hz.

GM
Old 26th April 2012, 03:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi GM

It is documented by a fellow diyer, Jon Agner. He said he stopped tuning at 35hz or something like that. I didnt needed it to go that low but, he says they sounded very good. He now uses the exact same box (me thinks) with a philipinno made 8" full range, judging from the pictures...

All I know is that it was a folded mass loaded tqwt.
Old 26th April 2012, 03:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

He goes by the name Jagner here in diy audio! I pm him twice, but unfortunately he didnt replied back the plans. He seems like a nice guy, very polite.
Old 27th April 2012, 01:58 AM   #9
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

All I found was an invalid photo link from 2008. Regardless, there's no way to get a lot of gain out of a vented alignment that is tuned below the lower mass corner and what is doable requires a very large cab, especially for such a high Qts driver. Even then this assumes the published specs applies to your drivers, which I seriously doubt.

Anyway, it's going to take at least a ~10.74 ft^3 MLTL cab to get down into the 30s even at a very rolled off output. If hes doing it in a ML-TQWT of less net Vb, then its LF output will be less also [excluding any room gain of course].

The 1st sim is tuned to ~41 Hz [12" dia. reflex vent] and the 2nd at ~35 Hz [8" dia. reflex vent].

GM
Attached Images
File Type: gif 8AG_N 41 Hz MLTL.gif (6.7 KB, 229 views)
File Type: gif 8AG_N 35 Hz MLTL.gif (6.7 KB, 229 views)
Old 27th April 2012, 05:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi GM

Sure, it would be big, but Im already living with these huge blh in my living room, so Im not expecting anything out of the ordinary...
He got some help from MJK(?) and his software and one thing i know of, theres a port firing below the box. Im not a fan of subwoofers, I just wanted my music with a little more foundation thats all. In my living room, unfortunately, BLH dont get along well, maybe if I had a bit more room they would be enough, but they are bastards regarding positioning. So this would be a huge improvement for me. Could you help me out with some box dimensions?

Hide this!Advertise here!