Fountek FR135EX?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

of the scores of FR drivers that many of us haven't yet played with, these are another one

Fountek FR135EX 5" Full Range: Madisound Speaker Store

personally, after underwhelming experience with the FR88EX, at $102 ea* this is one I'm not eager to taste test on my own dime

* Fountek isn't the only brand victim to the vagaries of cost "fluctuations" on Neo, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for current price levels to change, or distributors such as Madisound, PE, et al to write down stale inventory

Thanks Sreten for posting the link to enclosure / filter circuit design - as I seldom pay particular attention to such documentation, this is the first time I can recall seeing a manufacturer's impedance graph posted for a full range driver including EQ . Are those substantial peaks in the impedance around 1200 and just over 10K typical results of of such networks, and how does one reconcile those with what appears to be a relatively minor change in the presumably on-axis FR above say 300Hz?

Thank you both for the responses. This driver is on my list for possible use in an OB design application I have been working on. Although the specs look attractive at the onset, I felt it was a bit pricy as well as being a little troublesome in the upper end for a passive correction circuit. Sometimes these issues are worth the extra effort if the driver has a high degree of accuracy and sounds good as well. In this case maybe not.

Matthew

Thank you both for the responses. This driver is on my list for possible use in an OB design application I have been working on. Although the specs look attractive at the onset, I felt it was a bit pricy as well as being a little troublesome in the upper end for a passive correction circuit. Sometimes these issues are worth the extra effort if the driver has a high degree of accuracy and sounds good as well. In this case maybe not.

Matthew

keep in mind that in only 2 replies in this thread so far, no-one has noted any experience with these - they might sound quite fine - it certainly wouldn't be the first time that published graphs didn't tell the whole story

Hi,

FWIW I can't reconcile the various curves filters info etc, though the idea
an impedance curve is "ugly" is a new one on me, it is what it is, the kink
at 1KHz is a driver issue. The peaks are inevitable with series filters.

rgds, sreten.

Dave has already implied his concerns of the possible affect of roller coaster ride of impedance amplitude (not to mention unpublished possible tilt-a whirl of phase angles) on low damping factor SE amps that a lot of us like to employ.

Out of curiosity, can you address my second question in previous post:
how does one reconcile those with what appears to be a relatively minor change in the presumably on-axis FR above say 300Hz?

It's the right size, worth a try.

dave

Thank you Dave for the quick response.

Actually I was thinking about Alpair 7, and suddenly this FR135EX came into my mind and checked the specification and has similar properties. In-fact FR135EX seems a bit better than the other.

With your permission I am planning to do an experiment on my FH3 with this FR135EX on an oval baffle. Please let me know any other parameter should tweak or modify while doing the alterations.

Thanks,
Bibin

Thanks Sreten for posting the link to enclosure / filter circuit design - as I seldom pay particular attention to such documentation, this is the first time I can recall seeing a manufacturer's impedance graph posted for a full range driver including EQ . Are those substantial peaks in the impedance around 1200 and just over 10K typical results of of such networks, and how does one reconcile those with what appears to be a relatively minor change in the presumably on-axis FR above say 300Hz?

Hi,

You can reconcile them with the first peak dealing with box diffraction issues,
the second dealing with the issues around 10KHz. As ever though with the
write speed of the graphs its hard to work out what is actually going on.

Also see the NS3 stuff on this page : Zaph|Audio and Zaph|Audio

Which suggest the first peak is also about a driver issue, but
the driver impedance overall rise suggests some BSC also.

FWIW with the EQ its relatively very easy speaker to drive, ideally
suited to low power class A, (with a decent high damping factor).

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread... I am thinking of experimenting this driver(Fountek FR135EX) in a "non-fullrange" use. To be precise, in a LS 3/5A clone cabinet I have from an abandoned LS 3/5A clone project of mine.

Simple simulation on WinISD with published data from Madisound, seems the driver is suited for that 5.0L+ cabinet with a F3 of 90Hz. Also the driver dimensions snugly seem to fit my LS 3/5A Cabinet.

My plan is to use this driver as a mid-bass with a SEAS Prestige 27TDFC (H1189) tweeter crossed somewhere between 3K to 5K(First order butter-worth perhaps)...

Planning to get the FRD and ZMA for this driver is next step. So, wanted to ask the heavy-weights around here whether it'd be a blunder?

All I have is Dayton DATS and Jeff's "Passive Crossover Designer 7 (2007)" EXCEL with me. No esoteric tools. Not even the capability to measure the Frequency response.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.