Aiko with a fe103en on 126en?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,
Could anyone tell me if one between the fe103en or fe126en may work in the Aiko bvr? It's the only 'horn' that fits my syster's room, so I was thinking of biulding this one too (I'll build a pair of fonkens with ff125wk for myself).

Has anyone tried it?

Ervin

Ervin,

Aiko is for different driver - Fostex FE108e Sigma.

If you like BVR, then you can try out the Lotus or Lotus^2 from the English Auto series:

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/English-Auto-Series-061109.pdf

The Lotus is designed for the Mark Audio CHR-70 driver.

Please note that for designs like this, you will need to give some distance between speaker and listener for horn mouths to integrate.

Any thought about the fe103en?

Ervin

People building back loaded horns tend to build larger cabinets with larger drivers. The smaller FE103En driver tends to get overlooked to a degree for this reason. You might take a hard look at the Sperrin. Its a nice looking project for people with limited space but for not much more money you can get the FE126En and build a larger enclosure.

Historically the 103 has been liked well enough in the West (for what it is), but I get the feeling that most buyers have tended to opt for either the smaller 3 1/2in, or larger 4 1/2in models, leaving the 4in 103 a bit isolated. The 3 1/2in units make a better mid-tweet, and the 4 1/2in units don't cost a great deal more, and have slightly more useable dynamic range (these things are relative).

In Japan, the case has been somewhat different; the 103 has always been a bit of a cult driver there. Possibly due to the generally smaller room sizes, and a different cultural approach to music and even way of listening. Eastern and Western languages are structured quite differently, and it's been suggested that seems to carry over into broader aspects of listening at any level higher than for e.g. the innate fight / flight responses we still have buried in our genetic code. Make of that what you will, but whatever the reason, it's a hit over in Japan, and the latest 103En seems to be more of the same -I don't think Fostex are able to make any big changes, since the last time they tried fiddling too much with the basic format, there was a bit of an outcry from Japanese DIYers who were less than amused that someone had been fooling with their favourite small driver. I think that was about 2 driver generations ago, when they released the FE103Sigma.

Last edited:
Scottmoose, do you know what kind of enclosure do they use for this driver?

Hi castorG: The Woden Design Sperrin mentioned earlier was actually designed by Scottmoose specifically for the FE103En. You can see it on his website. You might want to Email him if you think want to build it. There are of course lots of other designs available for the FE103En.

the FE103e(n) is a small 4-inch driver, I would suggest to put it in a F.A.S.T. system (I also have the FE103e)

offtopic:
castorG: interested in some Lana del Rey sound "hack", anti-loudness war?
planet10: your avatar scares the **** out of me, looks like my own eye ;-)

edit: sorry, changed my misspelling, and thanks for removing the swear words, I am used to the german forums, excuse me ;-)
why is Lana del Rey getting typed in red?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.