Aiko with a fe103en on 126en? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2012, 09:07 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Historically the 103 has been liked well enough in the West (for what it is), but I get the feeling that most buyers have tended to opt for either the smaller 3 1/2in, or larger 4 1/2in models, leaving the 4in 103 a bit isolated. The 3 1/2in units make a better mid-tweet, and the 4 1/2in units don't cost a great deal more, and have slightly more useable dynamic range (these things are relative).

In Japan, the case has been somewhat different; the 103 has always been a bit of a cult driver there. Possibly due to the generally smaller room sizes, and a different cultural approach to music and even way of listening. Eastern and Western languages are structured quite differently, and it's been suggested that seems to carry over into broader aspects of listening at any level higher than for e.g. the innate fight / flight responses we still have buried in our genetic code. Make of that what you will, but whatever the reason, it's a hit over in Japan, and the latest 103En seems to be more of the same -I don't think Fostex are able to make any big changes, since the last time they tried fiddling too much with the basic format, there was a bit of an outcry from Japanese DIYers who were less than amused that someone had been fooling with their favourite small driver. I think that was about 2 driver generations ago, when they released the FE103Sigma.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 24th April 2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 24th April 2012, 10:00 PM   #12
castorG is offline castorG  Italy
diyAudio Member

Scottmoose, do you know what kind of enclosure do they use for this driver?
Old 24th April 2012, 11:54 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorG View Post
Hi castorG: The Woden Design Sperrin mentioned earlier was actually designed by Scottmoose specifically for the FE103En. You can see it on his website. You might want to Email him if you think want to build it. There are of course lots of other designs available for the FE103En.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:54 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorG View Post
Basically a case of how long is a piece of string. Anything & everything, from sealed boxes, vented boxes, arrays, folded resonant pipes, back-horns in a myriad of forms etc.
Old 4th January 2013, 02:28 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

the FE103e(n) is a small 4-inch driver, I would suggest to put it in a F.A.S.T. system (I also have the FE103e)

offtopic:
castorG: interested in some Lana del Rey sound "hack", anti-loudness war?
planet10: your avatar scares the **** out of me, looks like my own eye ;-)

edit: sorry, changed my misspelling, and thanks for removing the swear words, I am used to the german forums, excuse me ;-)
why is Lana del Rey getting typed in red?

Last edited by venomizer; 4th January 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!