what kind of enclosure is Zu Omen ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was reading their web site and it talks about a loading system based on automotive exhaust technology and having 'finger ports' on the bottom of the speaker. What the heck is it ?

look here: http://www.zuaudio.com/docs/Omen1-A_Specs.pdf

there's a 3-d diagram showing some kind of pyramid structure inside the enclosure, some kind of tuned cavity that's mass-loaded ?

Last edited:
I was reading their web site and it talks about a loading system based on automotive exhaust technology and having 'finger ports' on the bottom of the speaker. What the heck is it ?

look here: http://www.zuaudio.com/docs/Omen1-A_Specs.pdf

there's a 3-d diagram showing some kind of pyramid structure inside the enclosure, some kind of tuned cavity that's mass-loaded ?

From the spec sheet:

Zu-Griewe driver / cabinet / room loading technology allows this high efficiency platform to give articulate and deep bass performance—attributes that have never been done in a passive, high efficiency loudspeaker system of this size. (Zu-Griewe is an acoustics technology and model originally developed for high performance competition two and four cycle engine exhaust systems for improving power output through pulse and pressure management, with increased bandwidth, while reducing noise and sound pressure levels over convention. More on the Zu- Griewe tech can be found in the FAQ section.)

simple as that!

From the spec sheet:

Zu-Griewe driver / cabinet / room loading technology allows this high efficiency platform to give articulate and deep bass performance—attributes that have never been done in a passive, high efficiency loudspeaker system of this size. (Zu-Griewe is an acoustics technology and model originally developed for high performance competition two and four cycle engine exhaust systems for improving power output through pulse and pressure management, with increased bandwidth, while reducing noise and sound pressure levels over convention. More on the Zu- Griewe tech can be found in the FAQ section.)

simple as that!

Chris,

Didn't the late Paul Klipsch pass out big large yellow buttons at the Audio Shows that had an appropriate message on it?

Dear Mr. Mod,

I'm pretty sure that they employed a variation of an Inverted Barometric Quadramodal Wave Snubber. There's really no other alignment that could allow you to reap the Fluxual Reciprocity Index figures that are just barely hinted at, but not openly stated.

One would think, that as easy as it is to adapt, that it would have become more popular.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm not saying that I'm knowledgeable enough to do the same thing with speaker , but having some xperience with resonant exhaust on 2strokers , I would expect more linear impedance ..... if construction is so strongly based on what they say .

in fact ... having right exhaust is way more challenging than making loudspeaker box , let's be real

I'm really digging their story an overall attitude/approach , but it seems that they really just invented new name for old TL

yeah, I saw the double humped impedance plot and that is quite a tell-tale for a resonant box - where TL and BR are two sides of the same coin. But what is with the pyramid ?

If you take a close look at the "x-ray" drawing you'll notice that the Pyramid inside seems to be open at the top. It seems that it's a short down firing Conical Horn. The outside taper of this supposed horn evidently forms a short four sided transmission line (with some sort of stuffing?).
:2c:

Best Regards,
TerryO

If you take a close look at the "x-ray" drawing you'll notice that the Pyramid inside seems to be open at the top. It seems that it's a short down firing Conical Horn. The outside taper of this supposed horn evidently forms a short four sided transmission line (with some sort of stuffing?).
:2c:

Best Regards,
TerryO

yup, it sure looks like something that straddles more than one "classical" pigeon-hole categorization and as we've all experienced, the sonics of resonant boxes can vary a helluva lot

it'd certainly be interesting to hear them, but don't hold your breath for a "forensic reverse engineering" of the details

Bigun,

Why not just take one apart! Or would that void the warranty? :D

I don't own any - but my friend, who just built a SV811 SET is looking for some off-the-shelf speakers and rather fancied a pair of Zu's. So I took a lot at their website and started getting a bit worried about their marketing speak.

Now it seems that they don't really have anything particularly 'new' here. Perhaps the magic is in their drivers.

I'm agreeing with the above answers. It's a slightly complex asymmetric BR port. An optimized Port would have a double flair like the pyramid in the pic but with another upside down sitting on top of it. The tuning is determined by the smallest section of the port and the length.

I've got some old white papers on port flairs that show this. I'll look for them.

revb.

edit: found it http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20120423/11094.pdf

Last edited:
Upon further inspection of the drawing I see where they talk about back-wave rectification. I'm not sure how much it would help as the geometry is too simple to be effective over a large range of pulse widths but it's there none the less.

(I've designed exhausts' for a few bikes that ran the TT at the Isle of Man. They have really good Kippers in Peel if you like smoked fish.)

later,
revb

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
;)

Attachments

• Isle of Man.gif
    Isle of Man.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 285
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.