Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2012, 08:29 PM   #1
kiske1 is offline kiske1  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default First DIY loudspeaker project for LM3886

Hello!

this post is my first step into the world of diy audio! My favourite listening is hard rock / heavy metal, so I don't know if the speakers and the amp I'm thinking about will be suitable for this...

I was thinking of a LM3886 chipamp, connected to Fostex FE166en drivers.

My first question is: are those components good for hard rock / heavy metal listening?

Second question: In case the above is true, wich enclosure is suggested for the FE166en? I've read that the Fostex factory proposed design is not "state of the art", but I don't want to have something big as th BiB project...

Thank you all in advance!
Old 22nd April 2012, 09:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I dont think you would want a full ranger for that type of music. Especially metal. I would think about a 2 or 3 way. I'll let the geniuses give you the real answer.
Old 23rd April 2012, 09:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answer...
I suppose that a 2/3 way system raises the total cost much...
As this is my first attempt in diy, I'd like to try with something "simpler" and chepaer...

So the final question is:
Has someone listened to some hard rock / metal on a fullranger? If so, does it sound THAT bad?

PS. I've never had a real hifi, so I suspect that the fullrange will still be better than my actual AIWA 15 year old china made stereo system...
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

yes...I have Audio Nirvana's 8 inch cast frames and use them for all types. classical, jazz, rock...vocals, guitar etc. The problem is that when your source material is not good...it sounds mediocre. Also, metal is very compressed sounding. Not a good match for many speakers. Im not saying that its not doable. I think its a great idea to build a first simple speaker...just get some more opinions here from other members. These guys are older farts here and typically listen to Adele, vocal stuff, classical, guitar...good mids is what they like. And a good full ranger will get you that. I think over all, you will happy with it.
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you, very clear...

I'm new here, and I don't know if should be good pratice to crosspost this to the multiway forum, or ask a moderator to move it?
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

no leave it here...just be patient till you can get a few more opinions...what you could do is post in the multiway forum and just change your question to what would be a good cheap simple build for what your interests are.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I did a build about 2 years ago based on LM3886 (2 per channel, active bi-amp) + DIY bookshelf Seas U18RNX/P (midwoofer) / Scan Speak R2604/833000 (tweeter).

This is not to expensive, and those 2 units are easy to integrate into a 2 way, also with a pasive XO. My personal music taste is somewhat different then yours (most demanding would be Techno) but they did this very well.

Maybe interesting for you to, this design (uses the same woofer): Idunn
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:33 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

metal and hard rock is not good to full rangers , unless you plan to had sub(s) to relief the fullrange from deep bass.

why dont you go for something like this :

ALTO II - Visaton 2-way column speaker DIY kit - per pair(5967) - Europe Audio

CLOU - Visaton 2-way column speaker DIY kit - per pair (5961) - Europe Audio

VOX 80 - Visaton 3-way column speaker DIY kit - per pair(5940) - Europe Audio

there are better choices but more expensive

Last edited by lduarte1973; 23rd April 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:51 AM   #9
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

If you want to limit your budget and use this first speaker build as a learning experience, then it makes sense to use a single driver in a small box. That will let you hear what the single can do with a wide range signal and it will also allow you to hear what effect the box has on the bass.
Design a sealed box with an optional port. The port can be sealed airtight for your first experiments. Then opened for vented box listening. Finally you can tune the vented box alignment by changing the vent length.

After you have played with this for a few months you can then decide what if anything you want to do next.

Start with an 8ohm speaker driver if you intend using chipamps.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thank you all again for the answers... the links from Iduarte are very interesting... Andrew... You have understood my whole idea... This is my first project in wich I'd like to experiment and learn...

In the meanwhile I've found this in the forum:

Beyma 8AG/N horn or "the Viech"

What do you think about it? It is very cheap and it should fit with a single LM3886...

Hide this!Advertise here!