single driver towers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have some W4-1798S drivers lying around from my car audio days. I was just wondering what you guys had to say about using these in towers running full range. I have a sub i would use with them, so the lower freques are no worries.

here's the spec sheet:

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-889s.pdf

I am probably going to do build the towers this week just to at least try it. I have always wanted single driver towers with no crossovers :).

Also it seems like Tang Band stop making these units... anyone know anything about that?

Cheers!

It looks like a nice driver. Don't know how it would do in either but make sure to check out the tabaq and cyburgs needle, if you havent already. I don't see any problem with using them in general though if that's your question

Considering that you have a sub don't make them go too low. I'd say between 70 to 80 would be a good roll off. That way you won't be able to tell where the sub is but the driver won't be driven over excursion too easily

Good luck!

So i was so anxious to hear these speakers that i threw them in make shift sealed boxes and let them rip. They are really kool, I like full range drivers now! I can see what all the fuss is about! there is definitely something to be said about having the entire range come from one source with out a crossover in the mix. I am going to be building the needle design most likely... the others require to much lumber...

Last edited:
I'm sure the needle would perform well but you may want to consider the tabaqs as well, te extension isn't as low but you have a sub so that's ok but i would bet they have a little better excursion control.

That being said I'm sure you would be happy with either. I can vouch for at least the tabaq as having excellent bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.