Fostex bookshelf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,
this is my first post on this forum so I'll introduce myself. I'm Ervin, and I'm from Italy. Actually I'm studying (not englesh, as you can understand from my pour form of writing it:D) and for the next two years nothing will change, so I need to build something to listen to in these years to come. My bigger problem is....space. I don't have any space in my room to fit the speakers in. If I had it, nothing would stop me from building a big BVR or the onur horn...but no space, no party.:(

I'll post some pictures of the place when they'll be putted. I don't see any solution but bookshelf here.

My courrent speakers are a couple of indiana line 4.06 (italian product).
Arbour 4.06 2 vie, da scaffale - Scheda Prodotto - Indiana Line
They are not that bad, but I want to try fullrange speakers.
As you can see from the data, they ho only 58hz low, and I'd say that I don't need my bookshelf to go lower (and I guess they want go that low anyway, even if i wanted to:D).

From what I can see from the official datas, my choice would be fostex fe166en. It looks good to me, and since I would drive it with a ta2024 based amplifier, its efficiency over 90dbel from 150hz to almost 20khz sound good to me.

The other choice is the fostex fe126en, but I know my self and since I'm in love with the fe166en, if I choose the small one, I would regret my choice.

So, at the end of the story, ths is my space (see photos) and what I'm asking for is a Bookshelf design for the fostex fe166en whith something around 55/60 hz (if it is possible, of course).

Hi,

There is a problem with your pictures - could you try adding them as attachments to your post?

Going to only 150Hz would result in a speaker that sounds very thin: no bass.
Those Fostex speakers need big horns to get bass.

If you want to stay with Fostex speakers, try the newer products:
Fostex FF105WK 4" Full Range: Madisound Speaker Store

These will work in small cabinets, so are better suited to your situation.

You could also try Mark Audio and Tang Band.

Chris

First thanks to everyone.

Sorry for the pictures. Here they are:

As you can see, the first one is made with the indiana line on their place (they are really small), and the second one is with a try-to understand-what-to-do box:D. It is 30(w)x28x40(h). To me it looks big enaugh (maybe a bit taller and slimmer would be perfect, since the driver would be at the height of my ear).

The point is that I'd really like a high sensitivity driver/speaker, since mine are 'only' 89dbel and some time I'd like them to be more sensitive (I courrently use a scythe kama bay 2x10w, waiting for the ta2024 to come and in that case only 2x7w will be avaiable without distorsion).

Attachments

• IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    486.9 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    404.5 KB · Views: 425
Giving a look to the ffxxxwk series, I think that the one that would work for me is the ff125wk.

But I have a question, how do they sound? My favorite music il classical (especially violins, I love them), female voices and sometimes rock to, but I'm not expecting it to be suitable for rock.

Again, no way to make the fe166en work well in something that can fit to my place?

Ervin

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The FExx6En series really need a horn to get any bass. For your purposes the FFxx5wK are much better.

Given the size of the cardboard box you could accomodate the FF165wk (16-17 litres works fine). Personally i tend to prefer the smaller drivers. FF125wk is quite good -- treated i hope to see it come in a notch below the Alpair7eN but with about 5 dB greater efficiency.

If you want bass, look at the EL70.

dave

Hi Dave,
what about a dfonken for the ff125wk? How low does it go? I'm not really interested in bass, but something around 60hz would be really appreciated.

So treating them you would make them a 94dbel sensitive drivers? That looks really interesting..
When will they be avaiable?

Ervin

Ervin,

Dave raises a good point on smaller drivers. For your application (on desk speakers) probably 4" should be sufficient, even 3" can be ok if you are not looking for lot of bass. Good FR drivers have lot of detail event at lower volume - Dave calls it DDR (Downward Dynamic Range). I have never listened to the Fostex FF125WK, but Dave should have some experience and maybe he can comment on the suitability of that in near field.

Ok zman01,
you definetly convinced me. I think I'm going to buy the ff125wk nex monday, before I change idea another time. :D

Now I need a good cabinet to fit it in. I saw a really beatifoul dfonken for it..are plans avaiable anywhere? Or do you think there is something better around?

Ervin

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
what about a dfonken for the ff125wk? How low does it go? I'm not really interested in bass, but something around 60hz would be really appreciated.

Estimated F3 65 Hz or so, F10 50 Hz, where you will need to place them lower.

So treating them you would make them a 94dbel sensitive drivers?

No. With treatment they loose 1/3 to 1/2 dB do on the order of 88-89 dB (5 dB more than the A7.3)

First FF125wKeN are ready to ship in a range of colour schemes/

dave

... but with less gain in the bass IIRC - it tends toward aperiodic because of the high aspect ratios of the slots.

I suppose the increased flow resistance would mean that the driver isn't completely unloaded below Fb, though, which is useful on the power handling front.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.