Tang Band W2-803SM, fullrange box suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead!

I've just bought 8 of these units, with the intention of creating a mini pair of pseudo 'line array' speakers, with 4 units in each. I've been playing around with the specs in WinISD, and the sim for 4 drivers seems worse than for single drivers, ie not as much low end.

The best compromise appears to be an 8.2l box tuned at about 80-90hz - I've yet to settle on a tuning freq.

I was under the impression that 4 drivers would 'couple' together at lower frequencies and help each other out a bit, but the plots on WinISD don't seem to prove this.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this?

Cheers!

Two things come to mind for me. How are your drivers spaced? They should be as close together as possible to avoid comb filtering.
Comb Filtering, Acoustical Interference, & Power Response in Loudspeakers | Audioholics

Also, how are they wired? If they're wired such that the impedence is increased, you might notice a difference in sound.

I'm not an expert at these things and hopefully one of those memebers who is expert with this will chime in. However, in the meantime I figured I'd offer my thoughts.

If you included a drawing of what you modeled, that might help.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

My plan was to have all 4 drivers as close to each other as possible, in a vertical line. I was hoping this would allow some sort of coupling to occur, and should only comb in the vertical plane, which doesn't bother me.

As for the wiring, the drivers are 4r each, so I was going to wire them like this:

4 drivers in each cabinet. 2 drivers in parallel with each other, then the 2 pairs in series, thus giving a total impedance of 4r. Does this sound sensible?

I'll see if I can figure out sketchup to create a drawing - I'm imagining something pretty simple, my woodwork skills are basic.

From memory, W: 110mm H: 334mm D: 284mm so a tall, narrow, deep tower. These measurements should give an internal volume of 8.2l when using 0.9mm ply.

Cheers!

I suspect you will ;)

I think flush mounting is next on mine - the driver poking out of the flat front isn't very pretty either..
What effect would mounting the driver from behind give?

It depends on the original driver design. Please see figure below SPL for three different mounting methods of a driver designed for flush mount.

Attachments

• 397B mount comp.jpg
    397B mount comp.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 203
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

My plan was to have all 4 drivers as close to each other as possible, in a vertical line. I was hoping this would allow some sort of coupling to occur, and should only comb in the vertical plane, which doesn't bother me.

As for the wiring, the drivers are 4r each, so I was going to wire them like this:

4 drivers in each cabinet. 2 drivers in parallel with each other, then the 2 pairs in series, thus giving a total impedance of 4r. Does this sound sensible?

I'll see if I can figure out sketchup to create a drawing - I'm imagining something pretty simple, my woodwork skills are basic.

From memory, W: 110mm H: 334mm D: 284mm so a tall, narrow, deep tower. These measurements should give an internal volume of 8.2l when using 0.9mm ply.

Cheers!

That's how I would do it. I wish I could offer something more to try, but that's all I have.
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.