MJK simulations - double mouth back loaded horn help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
is it the drivers low VAS (36ltr @ 216cm^2) compared to its cone area that is making this so hard for me to get something useful?

if the horn volume is too little i get peaky plots/no dampening and usually really bad system delay (see latest attempt below)

if the horn volume is big enough to smooth out the peaks, then it usually has a few large holes in it somewhere and not enough gain.

i tried a front vented, single mouthed horn as this seems to give greater gain than the rear ported and double mouthed ones; but are there enough folds to avoid all the high frequency coming through and ruining another attempted box, like the failures further up?

what is the stuffing strategy for BLH's?

the below plots or of latest attempt, thing is completely un stuffed in the sims.

worth giving a go with a build?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

No clue without the rest of the specs.

Ideally, stuffing would be limited to the filter chamber, but the reality is that the throat and/or mouth area [if front firing] often needs a small amount.

My SWAG is that with so much mids/HF horn gain relative to its bass line that too much low end will disappear once damped and the critical mids may sound too damped/'muffled'.

GM

My SWAG is that with so much mids/HF horn gain relative to its bass line that too much low end will disappear once damped and the critical mids may sound too damped/'muffled'.

GM

this was the problem i had with the BiB style top firing horn i made previously (further up in this thread). without any stuffing it was full of horrible muddles and frequency holes, with enough stuffing to reduce the higher frequency mess coming out the terminus, it ended up destroying the low end output bar a huge 40hz thump.

this is why i was hoping the manifold style of horn would remove this problem through its mechanical bandpass nature? the port firing against the wall also seemed to do this job quite well but didn't give enough low end gain to make the design worthwhile.

i would entirely give up with the idea of a horn but its the only design that seems to give enough bass range without maxing out the 1mm Xmax of the driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.