speaker sounds better with polarity switched?...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there guy´s

I´ve been trying to solve some midbass issues with my Beyma equipped viech´s.
And just for fun, I switched the speaker wire from the positive to the negative terminal and the negative to positive.

Strangely, there were some nice changes to the way it sounds. It seems to have quieted down a bit (midrange shout), treble is smoother, more detailed, high bass improved a bit (more controlled), and puts out as much low bass (or lack of it) as before...

There´s more depth tagging along with the now wider soundstage as well!

Is it just me, desperate to put them to work nicely or is there some kind of truth to this?

Has anybody experienced something like it? What is one supposed to hear when switching the polarity of a driver?

I´ve been trying to find some answers on the web, but I´m still a bit puzzled... :confused:

thanks for your reply...but now I´m a bit ashamed.
there are some improvements, but there´s definitely something strange about some sounds,they seem a bit faint...

I´m so sorry!

But the distortion I was getting in the midbass is almost gone. Maybe some really bad room mode that switching phase corrected by eliminating that frequency.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
How would one know what the "absolute phase" from live event to final recording after travelling through op amps, sound boards, mics, etc. etc... many items not minimum phase response ???

Thanx for repaeting what i said, but with a little bit of explanation as to why,

You can't. You can only listen. Some will be one way, some another, some no-care.

Since the software is so indescriminate, i laugh at people who worry about whether a piece of equipment inverts polarity, since if you are going to try to pay attention to absolute polarity you need to have a handy switch on your preamp -- preferably that you can toggle from your listening position,

dave

Well, the weird thing is, the strange effects I could take notice of, weren´t present in all the material I´ve been listening.
Fleetwood Mac, sounded flawless and better than before. Eagles, even better... However, it doesn´t work with everything, so I swapped it back again.
But it is weird...

not quite

That supports the absolute phase conjecture.

dave

no..I don't believe it does...

The only conjecture it supports is that you don't have enough information to differentiate cause and effect.... it could also (by some peoples' conjecture) have to do with the directionality of the wiring, for instance, or perhaps one orientation is more susceptible to rf interference, which is masked by certain music but transparent in other less dense or marginally mic-ed material...

Well, the weird thing is, the strange effects I could take notice of, weren´t present in all the material I´ve been listening.
Fleetwood Mac, sounded flawless and better than before. Eagles, even better... However, it doesn´t work with everything, so I swapped it back again.
But it is weird...

No it is not weird at all.

IF you switch the phase in one channel only, you will notice an improvement in soundstage but overall quality is worse. Easily is to notice the quality of the bass, which will be attenuated with different phase between channels.

If you switch both channels, then it is about absolute polarity as SY mentioned. It is clearly audible in most circumstances. Better for you to focus on the quality of the bass. Choose the one that give better bass.

Most of the time, positive of the amp must go to the positive of the speaker, but not always. Only recently that I experienced a situation where a driver liked a switched polarity. It happened when I opened a commercial loudspeaker and I noticed that something was wrong. I saw a positive driver terminal was connected to the wrong polarity cable so I tried to fix it. I expected an improvement but alas, what I heard is worse sound. So I restore the original connection and thought that the manufacturer didn't do it by mistake, or the driver may need burning time for the new connection. But I think the former is more likely.

Now the question is what makes one terminal of a driver is absolute and not relative. I guess it is also affected by how the coil is wound, or it's orientation. It is like when we use an inductor in a crossover, the "in" and "out" terminal is not interchangeable in my experience.

But with inductor the effect is less audible than with a driver. I have met many people with daily experience with audio. I thought I'm the only one who can hear these differences but I was wrong. It is too obvious that everyone else can also hear it. Unless in this internet where people touch a driver less than once in a day but think that they know everything.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
How would one know what the "absolute phase" from live event to final recording after travelling through op amps, sound boards, mics, etc. etc...???

You would think. In many cases you can't tell at all, but I have seen real
instances where people could identify absolute phase reliably. A lot depends
on the recording, the equipment, and of course the listener.

:cool:

Me and my friend who came to hear my speakers, found that on the drum sound, speaker cone pulls back and thought this was wrong. But then on second thought, I found that it should be the case. After all, when the drum is hit, the membrane struck goes in creating a suction of air and so does the speaker cone.

Gajanan Phadte

Bass wasn´t worse in my case. As it excited less room modes, it was actually a bit better.
The switched phase was more noticeable with complex recordings, where some details were sounding like they were fading away up to the point where I had to try really hard to "find" some instruments I was familiar with. So I can say I got less detail in the midrange, but much improved treble. Treble sounded really sweet and non fatiguing, giving some real depth to the soundstage.

What a pity... :(

So you're saying the wire needs to solder itself in by the current applied to the speaker, before it has a proper connection?

On Diyaudio?

I don't quite understand what you meant.

What I'm trying to say was: when I heard the wrong connection made by the speaker manufacturer gave better sound than a "proper" connection, I suspected 2 reasons:

1) The manufacturer really knew what they were doing, there was no mistake by wiring the driver "improperly".

2) The driver had got used to the wrong wiring so the mechanics had adjusted itself, and it would take "burning in" time for the driver to adjust itself with the proper wiring.

The second guess was just anything I could think of, not necessarily something logical. As I said, the former (#1) is more likely (the case).

Look, I can tell you if I can hear anything, but I can't tell you the reasons why I hear something. So that "burning in" thing is just an imagination, something that I don't really care about. I didn't check with cone movement because the last time I tried to observe cone movement relationship with switching polarity, I couldn't see or even feel (by finger touch) the difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.