speaker sounds better with polarity switched?... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2012, 05:30 PM   #1
bubuxxl is offline bubuxxl  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default speaker sounds better with polarity switched?...

Hey there guy´s

I´ve been trying to solve some midbass issues with my Beyma equipped viech´s.
And just for fun, I switched the speaker wire from the positive to the negative terminal and the negative to positive.

Strangely, there were some nice changes to the way it sounds. It seems to have quieted down a bit (midrange shout), treble is smoother, more detailed, high bass improved a bit (more controlled), and puts out as much low bass (or lack of it) as before...

There´s more depth tagging along with the now wider soundstage as well!

Is it just me, desperate to put them to work nicely or is there some kind of truth to this?

Has anybody experienced something like it? What is one supposed to hear when switching the polarity of a driver?

I´ve been trying to find some answers on the web, but I´m still a bit puzzled...
Old 18th April 2012, 05:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

There are a few possible reasons this may have changed the sound for the better. Is there a cross over to another driver? Or is it a full range?
Old 18th April 2012, 05:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

ups...

Administrators, feel free to delete this thread...
I just called a friend and he said that things sounded weird,so...
My sinusitis is wrecking my hearing,I have to take a break from testing sound issues...

I´m so sorry!
Old 18th April 2012, 05:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It's still a worthy topic to explore. Is this a single driver setup? Or is there a xo.
Old 18th April 2012, 05:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks for your reply...but now I´m a bit ashamed.
there are some improvements, but there´s definitely something strange about some sounds,they seem a bit faint...

I´m so sorry!

But the distortion I was getting in the midbass is almost gone. Maybe some really bad room mode that switching phase corrected by eliminating that frequency.
Old 18th April 2012, 05:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

definitely no crossover...but this experience really made think about a BSC for the viech!
maybe that´s what´s wrong with it!
Old 18th April 2012, 06:20 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You could be running into absolute phase... on some material it will sound better, other material will have abs phase the other way, and some material they won't have paid attention and it will be a mishmash.

dave
Old 18th April 2012, 06:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

here come the "grasping at straws" crowd.... <sigh>

How would one know what the "absolute phase" from live event to final recording after travelling through op amps, sound boards, mics, etc. etc... many items not minimum phase response ???

just asking
Old 18th April 2012, 07:06 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by auplater View Post
How would one know what the "absolute phase" from live event to final recording after travelling through op amps, sound boards, mics, etc. etc... many items not minimum phase response ???
Thanx for repaeting what i said, but with a little bit of explanation as to why,

You can't. You can only listen. Some will be one way, some another, some no-care.

Since the software is so indescriminate, i laugh at people who worry about whether a piece of equipment inverts polarity, since if you are going to try to pay attention to absolute polarity you need to have a handy switch on your preamp -- preferably that you can toggle from your listening position,

dave
Old 18th April 2012, 08:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well, the weird thing is, the strange effects I could take notice of, weren´t present in all the material I´ve been listening.
Fleetwood Mac, sounded flawless and better than before. Eagles, even better... However, it doesn´t work with everything, so I swapped it back again.
But it is weird...

Hide this!Advertise here!