LIKE THE MIKASA; IF TB W4 1320SIF BAMBOO WHAT FILTERING? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2012, 06:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Like The Mikasa; If TB W4 1320SIF Bamboo What Filtering?

Hi All,
I want to build a pair of MIKASA'S from the spawn family and wanted to know if I need to have any filter components etc. for use with this type of tang band... I am amplifying with an original Dynaco SCA-35 it has 8 ohm and 16 ohm taps, any suggestions? I was going to go with the fostex Fe126en but I don't think they are the best, not sure... any advice on drivers for MIKASA would be appreciated! What type of good insulation should I put in behind the driver, how much? what will happen if I just line the baffle steps inside with felt? Thanks, you guys are the best! P.S. I have someone cutting all of my wood for me, so all I have to do is glue it clamp it, screw it all together.
Lydia

Last edited by pianolydia; 14th April 2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 14th April 2012, 02:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I use 1mh coil with 4 ohm resister for baffle step correction on bookshelf size cabinets. You may not need this with back a loaded horn!

Larry
Old 14th April 2012, 02:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Mikasa was designed for the defunct FE126E, not the Tang Band; it is now obsolete and shortly to be removed from the FH pages. With the intended unit, it should not require any compensation for step-loss.
Old 17th April 2012, 11:22 PM   #4
mightym is offline mightym  United States
diyAudio Member

With all respect due the designer, they've been built with good results with other than the intended Fostex FE 126. Gychangs's with the "El Cheapo" pioneer ( Now no longer available too, and had specs much closer to the other discontinued Fostex FE 127. ) is an example. The listing in the Frugal Horn web page also says "Mikasa: intended for drivers in the 4-5" range (100-125mm)".

I haven't looked at the specs to compare them for compatibility, so YMMV of course.

I personally hope they stay up on the Frugal horn site as is, if nothing more than a reference, and inspiration to future designers....

I've always liked the look of the Mikasa's.

John

P.S. Lydia, you may want to consider building this with the last bit of the front where the driver is mounted as a removable bit with some "T" nuts and cap screws so that the damping behind the driver can be tuned to your room, and your listening preferences.

Keep us posted, I'm sure I am not the only one interested in this project.

I looked at the specs for the driver, and see no reason why that driver won't work well for you.

Last edited by mightym; 17th April 2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: added content
Old 18th April 2012, 01:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I like the look of Mikasa as well, why not give it a try?

Larry

Hide this!Advertise here!