CHR70 ShoeBox-70.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been doing a little planning over the last few days.

I cant sink any money into it yet, Lost my housemate so rent has been expensive!

I have been looking into speaker bracing, I thought it was suggested somewhere but cant find the reference.

Would a simple brace on the back of the speaker be needed? I was thinking of a simple "K" shaped frame with the vertical part of the" K" on the back of the speaker.

This would also provide a box brace as well.

I tried to find some information on designing speaker braces after seeing all these crazy designs with holes all though them. Do the holes have any rules to them, or make any changes to the box design, or are they more of a lightening weight feature.

thanks

Slow update, A housemate has been found, and my bank account will be back to normal.

Might start building the box's next weekend :D

Started making some wires for the project, Decided to give the cat 5 platted style, I got 9 pairs total in a 3x3 configuration, Some Techflex braid and bannana plugs on the way.

Never going to braid again haha, That stuff is time consuming, Need to do 1 more meter for the wires inside the box's

Next Q would be on deadening suggestions inside the box.

I was planning on painting the entire inside with body deadner, Adding some foam as mentioned in the plans, Filling the Spare area with quarts sand as noted in the plans as well.

Might also as something on the angled part behind the driver, and Stuff with some Dacron.

Have many people had much experience from dynaxorb?

DynaXorb

Next Q would be on deadening suggestions inside the box.

I was planning on painting the entire inside with body deadner, Adding some foam as mentioned in the plans, Filling the Spare area with quarts sand as noted in the plans as well.
In a german (Hobby Hifi) comparison a "steel shot mat" Korff AG - Hawaphon added with felt shows the best result. Bitumen with felt (cheaper) was quite good also.
A convenience product is BAWOTUMEX
But I have no personal experiences with these materials!
Quarz sand in smaller quantities I got quite cheap as aquarium accessories.

Andreas

I bought them

This is what imthinking of powering the speakers with

Sinewave Genius 33D

Sinewave Electronics Co.,Limited Sinewave electronics co.,limited

DSP DAC and 3 channel amp all in one, WOuld be a perfect little unit for me.

Downside is I found it hard to find on this website as well haha

Hi

I have sold 2 of them to direkt power my 3 way speaker (DIY). I am waiting for delivery and will let you know.......if anyone is interested?

Bumpy, Work Has Progressed somewhat. Been a busy week or two with what not but managed to get a start.

No pics, All bits have been cut for the box's, and starting assembly, Need to paint bits while its apart which I might get done over the next few days, Inside of the port will be matt white.

Drivers have been ordered from Dan Archer audio, My local supply agent. I got the CHR-70 MkII with the black caps on the metal cones.

And I finished my wires as well.

Ok so I lied, I took some pics for you guys haha.

Said wires, 3x3 twisted pair cat 5 cables, Nice small banana plugs and some braiding and heat shrink.

IMG_1144.jpg

Start of one of the box's, I decided I want to totally seal the upper portion of the rear of the box where the quarts sand shall live, Insted of pleating all the sides of the box for a removable back, I made a solid piece, then cut the 2 holes as seen with a jigsaw.

IMG_1145.jpg

Box is 12mm MDF cost me $25 for a heap of it pre cut into some 120mm and 230mm wide bits, this saved me a heap of time, I was able to cut them to the right size with a drop saw and app bits were cut in an hour.

Internal bracing will be done with a driver brace and ill add another one a little lower.

In the meantime, When I pulled the router out to do some work, it was sounding nasty haha, 15 years of use between me and my dad, The body is still near new, So I have had to order 2 new bearings and a bush for the motor lol Hopefully the parts done take too long so I can continue the project, I need it to trim sheets and veneer and what not lol

Last edited:
Mmmm

Yes, I had them and they did not work out of the box so I send them back. They send (part of) my money back as they had no solution that could satisfy me at that moment.:(

I am still waiting for someone posting a review of the G33D, if one has it working and is satisfied with it, I might re-order.:confused:

Ahhh, I have been rather lazy with them of late haha, They have been something I just work on every now and then when I get bored lol, But an end is drawing near, I hope haha.

The have had a coat of car sound deadening paint on the inside then some "Super Sound deadener" put in them, Which is a bitumen like dynamat stuff with a 4mm foam on top.

One needs the deadener in it and the other is just about ready to screw together :D, Might work on them today lol.

Anyone progress pics!

Black sticky icky paint haha, works well and is cheap!
a8de1acc.jpg

Said Super sound deadener stuff

eba0e749.jpg

And one of the cabinets lined with it.
210a0acc.jpg

Baysnsf, Not good to hear about the G33D :(

Im a bit worried about the lack of reviews, or what software they come with, I really want a 3 channel amp with some DSP in it for Xovers and EQ function, Not much out there is an all in one chassis, and buying separate items is much more than I want to spend.

Currently they are in cardboard box's being powered as the mains from a logitech Z4 2.1 system.

I have no amp as yet, going to be connected to an iMac / mac mini, So looking for an amp with DSP preferably.

Hence why the G33D was on the list.

Yeh, Not sure on the MiniAMP kit, 20w may not be enough, I plugged one speaker into my Marantz AV Receiver / amp and it needs full volume to sound decent loud, but thats more in a room than near field environment. But for $60 it might be worth a try.

Last edited:
Dont you have when you just that little bit short of materials to finish off a job!

I need another tube of suber sound deadener now haha. I, thinking they will be screwed together and sealed bu the end of next week :D

Then the front face needs to go on, and then veneered. woo woo

On another note been looking at amp options,

I could do a miniDSP with 2 mini amps running BTL for 4x20

Or I could run a miniDSP and a csinewave T400D Aliexpress.com : Buy 4CHANNEL CLASS D +SMPS 400W PRO AUDIO AMPLIFIER MODULE ,4CH OR2CH OR 2.1CH SET EASILY from Reliable 4CHANNEL CLASS D SMPS PROAMPLIFIER MODULE suppliers on Amplifier store
in a shared case, much like the G33D, but with a reliable DSP in there.

Some of the pre made D class boards have been catching my eye, But I prefer the ones with power supplies on the same board, Makes life easy.

The latter option however is expensive $500 worth I think, I was planning a tapped horn box with a 6.5" driver, but maybe I could do the miniAMP setup and find an 8" sub with dual 8ohm coils in a small sealed or BR box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.