"Warm, full, natural, listen all day" fullrange?... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2012, 08:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default "Warm, full, natural, listen all day" fullrange?...

I am looking at the CSS el-70 as a full range for all day listening with all kinds of music including compressed mp3's. Anyone know how the driver performs with this kind of material?

Are there any other full ranges to consider? I would like a nice smooth sound, I'm not sure that I like metal cones as much having listened to Dayton rs100 and Peerless 830970
Old 11th April 2012, 09:01 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

see the chp 70 natural , paper cone , i dont own it or ever listened to it

Markaudio

another good choice should be the fostex drivers
Old 11th April 2012, 05:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I like the EL 70, paper cone, nice sound plays deep in the right cabinet. The CHP-70 is designed for an "old school" sound, it has a very rolled off upper register.
Old 11th April 2012, 05:35 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'd get a set of EL70s while you can...

dave
Old 11th April 2012, 05:46 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

+2 on the EL70 - as Fastbike noted, the CHP70.2 has a rolled off top end, that even though I definitely qualify for the "upper middle age" demographic, I find lacking in comparison to the EL, which also has outstanding LF response for such a little driver

OTOH, not all metal cones are created equal -Alpair6M vs Fountek FR88EX for example, and when a bit more budget is available, the Alpair7.3 is an exquisite performer
Old 11th April 2012, 05:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

+3 for EL70. Although for warm and natural, you may want to solve baffle step losses somehow. Either with an LR circuit, active filter, or some dual driver variant. My EL70s sound a tad thin without BSC. Not objectional, but I wouldn't consider them warm because of it.
Old 11th April 2012, 06:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Tang Band W5 polypropilene is "Warm, full, natural, listen all day" fullrange
Old 11th April 2012, 06:56 PM   #8
doggy is offline doggy  Canada
diyAudio Member

My stock EL70's have amazing bass; i have had to set my equalization on my Sony mp3 to "flat" response. I wonder if there will be a gen.2 EL70? i am 65 so i grew up with paper cones and have that bias.
Old 11th April 2012, 07:44 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy View Post
My stock EL70's have amazing bass; i have had to set my equalization on my Sony mp3 to "flat" response. I wonder if there will be a gen.2 EL70? i am 65 so i grew up with paper cones and have that bias.
If you've not already done so, try listening to the EL70 on higher resolution source than MP3, even dare I say it, a good vinyl rig? .

The question in your second sentence has been discussed rather extensively, and the short answer probably remains "not with that designation, at least" - the EL70 was a special OEM model for Bob at CSS, and was specified by Bob to meet very specific parameters.

Now, I'm sure Mark would be willing to negotiate privately with anyone able to pony up the required financial commitment for a new custom driver - I'm still collecting empties from the staff lunch / party room .
Old 11th April 2012, 07:58 PM   #10
sayrum is offline sayrum  Germany
diyAudio Member

the tangband w5-1611! Larger "conearea" then el70 -> more authetic + authorativ lower end. Non fatiguing mids due to polyprop cone + surprising amount of detail in the high end.
use them myself in bedroom. And there are two very thouroghly developed builds for the w5_1611:
sarah
flat 5
good luck with your choice!

Hide this!Advertise here!