A6m or A6p?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All, I've read quite a bit about comparing the two, however before I made my final selection I wanted to ask about suggestions for my specific use.

Near term I'll be using an HT receiver and I don't expect I'd ultimately change to anything more than inexpensive t-amps. Right now I'll be using them in a small office for nearfield desktop use, but eventually I will be moving to a larger office and will likely go to a 7.1 channel HT setup and move these small desktops to surround duties (probably on wall) and go to A7's in various configurations for LCR to round it out. I'm obviously not looking for earth shattering theater and most of my listening will be music ranging from acoustic, blues, classical to rock. My source will be mostly my pc with my M-audio 7.1 Revolution soundcard as long as it lasts.

I guess the reason I'm wondering is that looking at the FR I see a bit of a rise in the lows of the 6M and if this is indeed something of a built-in BSC, then would the 6P be better for desktop and eventual on-wall usage? I'd decided on the 6M but then discovered that the paper cone essentially fit into the same small cabinet as the 6M - I'll probably do the BR enclosure as it's dimensions work best for my desktop and these will have subwoofer support to stay below localization.

Any strong recommendations? From what I read, it's not necessary to even have all of the same driver - let alone material - when using surrounds so maybe I can just pick what's best for desktop usage now and it won't matter a whole lot if the LCR become a different driver material ... but no harm in reassurance, right? :) Feel free with any other observations between the two that might help me to decide.

Thanks ... !

Hello oldloder,
I tweaked the 6M to better suit near-field applications. It can go into a relatively small BR box, practical for desktop use. The 6P was designed for a more traditional audio uses. For example, in a Pensil 6 box, its particularly sweet and well suited to smaller living room situations.

In terms of the listening characteristics and impressions, from feedback, the 6M is more laid-back than the 6P. For those guys who listen to music for extended periods, the 6M is usually the pick. For detail and clarity, the 6P is often voted the better choice. Much a matter of personal choice.

Cheers
Mark.

Well, I have both metals all round in a 5.1 system ( i.e. Alpair7 front row and Alpair6M for surrounds), and paper EL70 (Mark, do you mind if I describe them as "what a paper Alpair 7 might sound like"?), as well as some exposure to Alpair6P - although not as much as Dave.

Simply put, I think you couldn't go wrong with either, but I think the papers would be both a bit more "forgiving" of source/amplification electronics, and, $hit let's admit it, I just like paper more for music.

(hence my slow growing chubby for the Alpair12P)

Thanks for your help folks ... just so you know, I never thought I could go wrong with either of these ... just wanna go as right as I can the first time around. ;)

Probably the reason I was kinda in the middle is I know I'm the kinda guy who values detail and clarity... but who also may listen for long extended periods! LoL. I think at some point I'll EnABl these drivers down the road myself and I'm looking to go as small as is sonically reasonable with bass support, so maybe it just comes down to the enclosure choice. I've narrowed down the initial cabinet choices to the BR plans at Madisound or the mMar-Ken6 - are there much of a sonic advantage that one has over the other? Such as, for desktop placement would either or both be better suited to being raised off of the desktop etc. or not? Of course I'll experiment when they land, but unless there is much of a difference between the two I might just go with the smallest BR ... I'm leaning toward one but this may tip the scale. :)

Thanks for your help folks ... just so you know, I never thought I could go wrong with either of these ... just wanna go as right as I can the first time around. ;)

Probably the reason I was kinda in the middle is I know I'm the kinda guy who values detail and clarity... but who also may listen for long extended periods! LoL. I think at some point I'll EnABl these drivers down the road myself and I'm looking to go as small as is sonically reasonable with bass support, so maybe it just comes down to the enclosure choice. I've narrowed down the initial cabinet choices to the BR plans at Madisound or the mMar-Ken6 - are there much of a sonic advantage that one has over the other? Such as, for desktop placement would either or both be better suited to being raised off of the desktop etc. or not? Of course I'll experiment when they land, but unless there is much of a difference between the two I might just go with the smallest BR ... I'm leaning toward one but this may tip the scale. :)

enabled paper in the mMarKen would be my recommendation

FWIW since focusing on playing with smaller FR drivers a few years ago, I've built a couple of "conventional" BR designs (round ports, non GR aspect ratios) of nominal equivalence to simple or more elaborate slot port configuration. At all sizes the latter types seem to deliver more smoothly controlled response in the lower octaves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.