My A7.3 with Helper - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2012, 12:59 AM   #1
sts9fan is offline sts9fan  United States
diyAudio Member

Default My A7.3 with Helper

I had the Exodus Anarchy drivers in a pair of tapped horns I did not really care for so I figured they would make a good helper woofer. These are the cheap Parts Express cabs that I know can be easily beaten. This is more of a beginning then an end. I am using a MiniDSP and the amp on the A7 has a volume control used to match up. I started with a 48db/Octave LR at 300hz. So far it sounds really good. I have the woofer box is 0.5ft^3 tuned to 45hz with a theoretical F3 of <40hz. I wantd to tune it to 40hz but the port became a hassle. The A7 box is 0.25ft^3 sealed. Both have been treated with vinyl tiles and felt. Over the next week I hope to take some measurments and tweak things. I plan to flip the cabs, adjust, xover points and generally mess around with the things. FUN!
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by sts9fan; 9th April 2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 9th April 2012, 01:24 AM   #2
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Good project - tell us more about your findings as you "find" them .

You mentioned the tapped horns - any paricular reason why you didn't like them?
Old 9th April 2012, 01:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The small tapped horns did not have the output I was looking for. With four maybe but I don't have that space.
I will also say, I am loving the A7s. They can handle complex music better then any of the other FR drivers I have tried.
Old 9th April 2012, 01:35 AM   #4
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts9fan View Post
I am loving the A7s. They can handle complex music better then any of the other FR drivers I have tried.
Yes, they are pretty amazing in that regard.
Old 9th April 2012, 02:51 AM   #5
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wait, you have two wires coming out of 2 speakers so you'd have 4 wires to hook up. Do you mind saying how you're hook up at the other end? I'm going to extreme n00b levels here.
Old 9th April 2012, 02:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I use a minidsp as a crossover to two amps.
Old 9th April 2012, 03:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Nice! I have a miniDSP waiting for a similar use. What amps are you using? I bought the miniAMP with the miniDSP. TuxedoCivic measured my Overnight Sensations and figured out the settings to use the DSP+AMP as an active crossover +amps. Worked out really well.

KM
Old 9th April 2012, 03:44 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I mostly use low watt class A which was not really appropriate for this application.
So I am using a few amps I had laying around. The woofers are being driven by a Twisted Pear chip amp and the A7 by a Virtue tripath jobbie. I am on the lookout for a suitable 4ch amp.
Old 9th April 2012, 04:34 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of CHR70s that are plenty loud on a 15w t-amp but I am sure that's far too little for most woofers. On the other hand, hooking up the chrs to something like a Sure 4x100w doesn't seem like the right thing either given their sensitivity. Maybe 2 amps is going to be the best solution? This is just a feeling though, I am short on practical experience when it comes to this. Perhaps some others can weigh in?

KM
Old 9th April 2012, 04:47 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleinCowichan View Post
I have a pair of CHR70s that are plenty loud on a 15w t-amp but I am sure that's far too little for most woofers. On the other hand, hooking up the chrs to something like a Sure 4x100w doesn't seem like the right thing either given their sensitivity. Maybe 2 amps is going to be the best solution? This is just a feeling though, I am short on practical experience when it comes to this. Perhaps some others can weigh in?

KM
even in multi way system with independent passive XO stages, separate channels of amplification for each driver section should yield the most benefits

with something like minidsp, or any degree of line level XO ( passive or active) multiple amps would definitely be required, and assuming that appropriate attenuation is available at or before the amps, I can see no reason to not use identical power amp modules all around if that's what you've got on hand

Hide this!Advertise here!