My A7.3 with Helper

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had the Exodus Anarchy drivers in a pair of tapped horns I did not really care for so I figured they would make a good helper woofer. These are the cheap Parts Express cabs that I know can be easily beaten. This is more of a beginning then an end. I am using a MiniDSP and the amp on the A7 has a volume control used to match up. I started with a 48db/Octave LR at 300hz. So far it sounds really good. I have the woofer box is 0.5ft^3 tuned to 45hz with a theoretical F3 of <40hz. I wantd to tune it to 40hz but the port became a hassle. The A7 box is 0.25ft^3 sealed. Both have been treated with vinyl tiles and felt. Over the next week I hope to take some measurments and tweak things. I plan to flip the cabs, adjust, xover points and generally mess around with the things. FUN!
P1010142.JPG

P1010143.JPG

Last edited:
I mostly use low watt class A which was not really appropriate for this application.
So I am using a few amps I had laying around. The woofers are being driven by a Twisted Pear chip amp and the A7 by a Virtue tripath jobbie. I am on the lookout for a suitable 4ch amp.

I have a pair of CHR70s that are plenty loud on a 15w t-amp but I am sure that's far too little for most woofers. On the other hand, hooking up the chrs to something like a Sure 4x100w doesn't seem like the right thing either given their sensitivity. Maybe 2 amps is going to be the best solution? This is just a feeling though, I am short on practical experience when it comes to this. Perhaps some others can weigh in?

KM

I have a pair of CHR70s that are plenty loud on a 15w t-amp but I am sure that's far too little for most woofers. On the other hand, hooking up the chrs to something like a Sure 4x100w doesn't seem like the right thing either given their sensitivity. Maybe 2 amps is going to be the best solution? This is just a feeling though, I am short on practical experience when it comes to this. Perhaps some others can weigh in?

KM

even in multi way system with independent passive XO stages, separate channels of amplification for each driver section should yield the most benefits

with something like minidsp, or any degree of line level XO ( passive or active) multiple amps would definitely be required, and assuming that appropriate attenuation is available at or before the amps, I can see no reason to not use identical power amp modules all around if that's what you've got on hand

assuming that appropriate attenuation is available at or before the amps, I can see no reason to not use identical power amp modules all around if that's what you've got on hand

Understood. That makes the SURE TK2050 4x100 a very attractive buy for someone looking to build a 2-way active system! I have seen some comments in the Class-d amp forum with people preferring some chips/amps over others for sharp treble and others for warmer presentations. With a miniDSP you could tweak to your hearts content.

Kyle

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
WoofT 1st... drivers are piled next to the cabinets. Not today, i'm cooking turkey.

SDX10 later. Likely after next weekend when Bernie will take Victor away (and i'll have more room). I'm eagar to try them too. Particularily with µFonekens

Note to the viewing audience, the SDX10 PP aren't only about being subwoofers, they are also an experiment in the effectiveness of push-push, the boxes are small sealed and 15mm ply.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.