COFFEE CAN SPEAKERS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While I was making coffee this morning...I had a brain fart. Has anyone done a FR speaker design in one of those HUGE metal coffee can containers? Looks like a 5 or 6 incher would fit perfectly on top. Obviously, the vol. looks too small to be a sealed system. Just wondering if utilizing this design would work.

I've skimmed lots of messages looking at designs etc. And I've seen pics of drivers in tubes, pipes, spheres, flower pots, cardboard and I believe I read about someone saying even coffee mugs.

There was even a message somewhere of a guy saying he thought the Fostex FF85K (not the new WK) had more bass in a 2L Sprite bottle.

I know the first thing I want to try out when the terminal disconnectors etc. arrive is to put my drivers in plastic bottles and cardboard containers of different sizes. A passing note, I know the Veravox 3X is not the most popular around but I did read it can be put in a 0.5L to 1L sealed enclosure.

Yea fakeout, I ve seen all of those myself. It would be a cool idea to keep the dimensions the same...line the container with lead to deaden it, and a little insulation inside for wave absorption...and see what happens. Its possible to use two cans max, to give it more internal area but keep it small still (for each speaker that is).

yoaudio...hehe....ya the last note...thats like he DIY persons last wish, as they're sitting listening to the "perfect" sound...then BAM!!! HEART ATTACK!

Prolly the best way to go IMHO:D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
While I was making coffee this morning...I had a brain fart. Has anyone done a FR speaker design in one of those HUGE metal coffee can containers? Looks like a 5 or 6 incher would fit perfectly on top. Obviously, the vol. looks too small to be a sealed system. Just wondering if utilizing this design would work.

It has been done -- and posted here somewhere -- but with a smaller coffee can. The plastic lid was cur out as a baffle. That would be the weakest part, the next, the big flat bottom. That could well act as a PR if untended too. You might even be able to tune it to be a useful PR.

The cyclinder part itself should be very good, the ones i recall were ribbed cicumferencially which would help further.

I've seen stel dismissed as an enclosure material at least a couple times recently because it rings. But it rings at a high frequency, and a high Q where there is little energy to excite it. If it isn't excited by the music it is as if it is not there.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Another issue that one has with a coffee can, driver mounted on a flat end, is that -- at least if centrally mounted -- is that a cyclinder has some of the worst ripple possible as one transitions from 2∏ to 4∏ stereradians.

This could be mitigated by finding a hemisphere to use as a cap to mount the speaker in.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PR = Passive Radiator.

The baffle step transition from half space to full space.

What is the net volume of the can? (subtract any potential bracing, baffle (if you use a chunck of wood) and a vent if ported.

2-2.5 litre, FF85, A6.2, FR88ex, likely a whack of 3; TBs.

If it creeps up to 4.5+ litre you can start lookng at some of the nominal 4" drivers. I haven't simmed the new FE105wk, it might fit in an in-between size.

dave

I've skimmed lots of messages looking at designs etc. And I've seen pics of drivers in tubes, pipes, spheres, flower pots, cardboard and I believe I read about someone saying even coffee mugs.

There was even a message somewhere of a guy saying he thought the Fostex FF85K (not the new WK) had more bass in a 2L Sprite bottle.

Plumbing supplies?
Picasa Web Albums - Richard - Class Work

Cheers

Doug

Here you go:

(No, no! It is not mine, and I don't know how it sounds!) :D

Attachments

• subwoofer.jpg
    subwoofer.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 102
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.