Newbie recommendations - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2012, 10:57 AM   #1
danzz is online now danzz  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie recommendations

Hi..

Im a total newbie, but I have been reading a lot this forum lately, so Im getting more or less an idea of what I want... But I still have a couple of doubts...

First of all, let me introduce my little project... I want to improve my Yamaha AVR-S80 5.1 home cinema, the RMS out from the amp is 33w at 6ohms,

I have decided already the speakers to use, for the satellites, Im planning to use the Tang band W3-881SI, a single unit per satellite, and for the center channel I liked to use Tang Band W23-1287SI conected in series to get a 8ohms load.

My doubts are:
Satellites:
Sealed or vented!?.. I wanted something small.
Should I add a tweeter!?... something like the tang band 25-302SH or any other recomendation...
Should I setup a high pass 800Hz filter for the W3-881SI?

Center Channel:
Should I add also a high pass 800Hz filter!?, if yes, what Impedance 4 or 8 ohms, I ask this as the speakers are 4 ohms, but as Im going to conect them in serie, the load will be 8ohms...

Thanks in advanced...
Old 6th April 2012, 12:59 PM   #2
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm still a newbie myself but I thought if you connect two in 4 Ohms, it's 2 Ohms, maybe not something your amp can take.
Old 6th April 2012, 01:15 PM   #3
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

fakeout, danzz,

If you connect 2 x 4 ohms in parallel then it puts a 2 ohm load on the amp which might be too much for the amp to handle.

2 x 4 ohms in series will yield a much more friendly 8 ohm load.

Danzz,

What is yor listening distance and room size like?
Old 6th April 2012, 01:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi..
Yes, Im thinking in conect in serie, to get 2x4=8ohms load...

The distance its quite close about 10 feet and the room size its 12x16,5 feet...
The listening it will be a bit of everything, music, differents kinds, and of course movies...

Thansk!!!
Old 6th April 2012, 03:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzz View Post
Hi..
Yes, Im thinking in conect in serie, to get 2x4=8ohms load...

The distance its quite close about 10 feet and the room size its 12x16,5 feet...
The listening it will be a bit of everything, music, differents kinds, and of course movies...

Thansk!!!
Decent dimensions (neither too big, nor too small ).

I myself have been meaning to put together a HT project for a room which is pretty similar in size. But I don't have my HT amp yet...

The TB W3-881 SI looks like a nice little driver for the price. I got a pair of the similar which I meant to use for mains.

I am thinking you might be able to use these in the TABAQ design - the original TABAQ is tall and slim and would be nice for your fronts. Then for centre maybe you can go for a folded Tabaq - turned on it's side it'll be 44cm wide but less than 15 cm tall.

For rears maybe another couple of Tabaq's. Being pretty slim, it can nicely fit into corners? I haven't heard these though, but folks who have built them see very happy, and the bass goes into the 50s I've read. Please understand though SPL from a 3" driver will be limited, especially when it has to do bass duties.

Here you go with the links:

TABAQ TL for Tang Band

TABAQ TL for Tang Band

What's up with the filter - won't your HT amp be able to set the XOs?

What sub are you using?

-Zia

Last edited by zman01; 6th April 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 6th April 2012, 03:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...Im planning to use the Tang band W3-881SI, a single unit per satellite, and for the center channel I liked to use Tang Band W23-1287SI ...
One feedback already: take the same drivers for the center as for the front channels, otherwise the tonality difference may be distracting. You may decide to use 2 drivers in the center but make them the same as the L+R channels
The ones at the back are less critical in that respect.

A bit bigger than your own suggestions, but still very doable, there is a very interesting "Trumpet-Sat" design for the Fostex FE206E etc by Horst Müller who also posts here. I haven't heard it but it does sure look like an interesting satellite approach:
Trumpet-Sat
trumpetFB
trumpetplan
You'd need to add a capable sub as well of course.
Old 6th April 2012, 03:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
One feedback already: take the same drivers for the center as for the front channels, otherwise the tonality difference may be distracting.
+1 Talaerts
Old 6th April 2012, 04:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your ideas zman01... I like those Tabaq as a design... I think I will go for it...

Talaerts...about the center channel, thats why I thought of theW23, as its seem to be somehow "timbre matched", just in case I had ordered extra of the W3-881 (8$/Unit).. will try with both speakers...

The Sub I will use at the moment its the factory one. that came with the system (yamaha SW-80), its a bit short, 6´´, but its not bad at all...

So wont recomend to add a tweeter to the satellite, right!?... or high pass filter to the center channel!?..
Old 6th April 2012, 06:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Danzz,

Would you be able to change your order to this set of 3" TB drivers?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...&FTR=w3-1053sc

Slightly more expensive, but QTS is lower, BL is lower and specs are closer to the driver Bjorn had originally used in the TABAQ. My understanding of these things are limited, but high QTS and BL indicate that the W3-881 driver would do better in a large box or OB. With your HT system I think you want to keep it nice and compact.

3" drivers should have decent dispersion and tweeterless operation should be possible, but I think we'll find out later for sure when you're done building.

BTW, I have a pair of TB W3-1053SC and played them a few hours for driver break-in last month. They seemed to have nice top end, but again can't say for sure before popping them into a real box.

Last edited by zman01; 6th April 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 6th April 2012, 11:08 PM   #10
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

I found a relevant discussion: Series-Parallel Or Parallel-Series

Hide this!Advertise here!