The Fountek Five for FR88ex - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2012, 04:09 PM   #31
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

The walnut SB in photo posted by Dave was built to solve two issues with the bamboo enclosures (PAWO) - severe colourations from shallow depth, and accommodate driver with different cutout size/pattern (FE127E) from the original ( CSSFR125) - the latter which proved to not be a particularly good match for this enclosure.

Yes, those tiny drivers, whether pincushion, round, or chamfered squares can be a PITA to provide with both adequate "breathing room" and securely sealed mounting - particularly those with shielding or simply large diameter magnets (such as FE126 / or all of the FFxxxWK I've seen so far) - by comparison, even the smallest of mr Fenlon's frames are a breeze.

Of course rear mounting a small driver like the FE87 won't be without its own issues - you'll either want to use very thin material ( say 1/8" aluminum plate), or provide a chamfer/roundover in front of driver to mitigate diffraction that will conflict with mounting screw location.

I'd be surprised if the vast majority of production quantities of these smaller drivers aren't built for OEM computer / mini systems which are now predominantly fabricated with at least some moulded plastic parts, allowing for much thinner front mounting panels. We're dreaming to expect manufacturers of same to revise basket designs to accommodate the needs of DIYers. Now, book an order for 10,000 units a month, different story.
Old 11th April 2012, 06:23 PM   #32
Teo73 is offline Teo73  Poland
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone, my first post here.

I recently ordered a pair of FR88-EX just to have some fun putting them in tiny boxes, so the plans from planet10 came as a very pleasant surprise. Thanks Dave! Seems that my speakers may be not so tiny after all

I have two questions regarding the fencepost. Firstly, is the amount of stuffing given in pdf correct for this project? Seems that the number regards the hybrid enclosure instead of any of the fenceposts. Secondly, why the second position for the speaker (and why is it preferred)?

Dave, would you pls quick-comment on these?
Old 3rd December 2013, 05:54 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Anyone build the unfolded fencepost yet? I picked up two pairs of drivers and plan to build a pair of 'ken cabinets and a pair of fencepost cabinets (with just a single driver) and wrap them up as Christmas gifts for family. My original plan was to build the uFonken but I was bummed to see the Fostex driver is no longer available. I hope the Fountek sounds just as good. As always, I'll post photos and a review when I'm finished.
Old 3rd December 2013, 06:47 PM   #34
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
Anyone build the unfolded fencepost yet?
Not that i've seen anyone sit up andacknowledge.I still get regular highly positive comments from the fellow that ended up with the folded prototypes.

Quote:
My original plan was to build the uFonken but I was bummed to see the Fostex driver is no longer available.
While true that the original FF85k is gone, and they left us hanging for a while, Fostex has had the FF85wk out for over a year now. And it is better yet. There is a uFonken for it, and the slightly larger, more complex uFonkenSET that is quite stunning.

The Fountek are good but don't do what the Fostex can.

dave
Old 3rd December 2013, 07:40 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I must have scrolled right past the FF85wk. A bit late to change plans though since I already placed my order with PartsExpress (got a decent holiday deal too). Haven't been on this site that much so I'm behind on the latest builds. I also find it difficult to figure out from your website what plans are available.

So the FF85wk works in the old uFonken enclosure without modification?

The uFonkenSET looks amazing but a bit above my woodworking skill level and the flatpack most likely over budget for gifts. Maybe I'll build a set for myself. Will it work with the old FF85k?
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:30 PM   #36
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
So the FF85wk works in the old uFonken enclosure without modification?
Not quite. Sloght changes in the vent. Plans are here (along with other free P10-HiFi plans).

Frugal-phile | Box Library / Fostex

I had to move them to a non-commercail site to allow me to post the URLs on some forums.

The more advanced plan-sets cost money so you need to contact me.

planet10-hifi miniOnken Plan-Set Subscriptions (not totally up-to-date)

dave
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:11 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Ok, that explains some of the confusion.
Old 13th December 2013, 06:02 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Finished the projects...

Gotta let the drivers break in a little before I pass judgement.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 13th December 2013, 06:26 PM   #39
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

And how do you like the sound? (i may be asking before they have enuff breakin)

dave
Old 13th December 2013, 07:07 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

I'm enjoying the fence posts right now (got about 3 hours on them) in a small room, powered off a 2.5 watt tube amp listening to old records while I work. I usually use my eNabled Frugelhorn MK1s in this room. There's less bass obviously, but it doesn't detract from the experience. I'd be happy to use these on a daily basis.

The 'Kens are a different story. I compared them to my FF85k uFonkens by putting them on my desk side by side. Not nearly as much bass and got a little harsh at louder levels. I was playing mp3s from my PC through a 10w T amp. That's just initial impressions though...I'd like them to break in a little more, and then I'll try them with the tube amp.

I have a friend coming over tomorrow and we'll hook everything up in the living room and do a little more listening. He's bringing a few projects too so we'll have at least 3 desktop variants to compare.

Hide this!Advertise here!