The Fountek Five for FR88ex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can share that my experience with this driver has been positive. The bass performance, given it's size, is very impressive. I built mine back in 2010 using a small desktop design with an unusual port design - easy to build but it has a horn type of shape to it. Sitting on a desk it gets good boundry reinforcement. It has Golden ratio internal dimensions and a pair of them can be cut from one 2' x 4' sheet. I'd say go for it - you won't be unhappy with this driver if used within its capabilities.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/175056-martello-enclosure-fr88ex.html

Attachments

• IMG_0503X.jpg
    IMG_0503X.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 733
Hey there! I'm interested in building a pair of the unfolded fenceposts. On the plans, is the driver made out in dashed lines below the solid one meant to be an alternate placement of a single driver, or is it meant to be the placement of a second driver, I.e. installing two 4ohm fr89ex in series?

Thanks!
MM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hey there! I'm interested in building a pair of the unfolded fenceposts. On the plans, is the driver made out in dashed lines below the solid one meant to be an alternate placement of a single driver, or is it meant to be the placement of a second driver, I.e. installing two 4ohm fr89ex in series?

It is a one or the other situation, the dotted placement is best for minimizing ripple in the FR, the solid location puts the driver at a more appropriate height for a typical listening position.

dave

If you meant the beveled vertical edges, on many of Dave's designs those are in effort to reduce edge diffraction, but we have no hard measured data to confirm how effective that is, and any subjective evaluation would be exactly that - confirmation bias at work, methinks.

So, short answer would be no.

These FR88EX's are great little drivers. I made my own box design (search up Martello) but it's not that different from what you can see in this thread. Highly recommend you try it - not the latest in micro-detail for some people maybe, but I'm hard pressed to find any issues - to my ears it is quite neutral so it doesn't have those little 'excitables' in the presence region that for some fold give a speaker a bit of detail but for me tend to irritate. No experience to offer on the FE85 though.

Attachments

• IMG_0503X.jpg
    IMG_0503X.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 310
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.