The Fountek Five for FR88ex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is a 3". Whether a sub is needed depends on how much bass you expect, and how loud. It should have an edge on things like Tabaq & Cybord Needle.

dave

"sub"

and I'd consider these candidate for stereo woofers XO'd much higher than the normal range of most sub plate/etc amps - IOW at least in the 200 -250 HZ range

Got word from Scott, the Voigt sims to F3 ~65, F10 ~55.

dave

F10?

Dave, would the folded Voigt work with the Fountek FE87?
would the FE87 "work"? - yes it would make some sound, but likely not as well as the driver for which it was designed - and that bigazz shielding magnet assembly will certainly make for a very tight fit - requiring substantial chamfer to rear side of cutout

Could the driver be mounted on the side face, at the same height as before? Monilith style?
internal clearance to back panel would be very shallow, and I'd be surprised if it didn't demonstrate "congestion"

And whats the size of the folded voigt?

page 7 of plan set in first post (drawn for 15mm material - adjust as necessary for different thickness)

internal dimensions - 100mm W x 318mm D x 864mm H, - fold divider centered at 151mm from top

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave, would the folded Voigt work with the Fountek FE87?
Could the driver be mounted on the side face, at the same height as before? Monilith style?

Maybe work with the FE87. QW resonators are fairly tolerent and all the similar 3" Fountek have similar T/S.

Mounting on the side should be fine, you might want to adjust abit to keep Zd. Chris' concerns about early reflections -- an sB might come in handy in this respect.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sB = supraBaffle

Like this one:

bambooPAWO-collage.jpg

dave

The walnut SB in photo posted by Dave was built to solve two issues with the bamboo enclosures (PAWO) - severe colourations from shallow depth, and accommodate driver with different cutout size/pattern (FE127E) from the original ( CSSFR125) - the latter which proved to not be a particularly good match for this enclosure.

Yes, those tiny drivers, whether pincushion, round, or chamfered squares can be a PITA to provide with both adequate "breathing room" and securely sealed mounting - particularly those with shielding or simply large diameter magnets (such as FE126 / or all of the FFxxxWK I've seen so far) - by comparison, even the smallest of mr Fenlon's frames are a breeze.

Of course rear mounting a small driver like the FE87 won't be without its own issues - you'll either want to use very thin material ( say 1/8" aluminum plate), or provide a chamfer/roundover in front of driver to mitigate diffraction that will conflict with mounting screw location.

I'd be surprised if the vast majority of production quantities of these smaller drivers aren't built for OEM computer / mini systems which are now predominantly fabricated with at least some moulded plastic parts, allowing for much thinner front mounting panels. We're dreaming to expect manufacturers of same to revise basket designs to accommodate the needs of DIYers. Now, book an order for 10,000 units a month, different story.

Hello everyone, my first post here.

I recently ordered a pair of FR88-EX just to have some fun putting them in tiny boxes, so the plans from planet10 came as a very pleasant surprise. Thanks Dave! Seems that my speakers may be not so tiny after all ;)

I have two questions regarding the fencepost. Firstly, is the amount of stuffing given in pdf correct for this project? Seems that the number regards the hybrid enclosure instead of any of the fenceposts. Secondly, why the second position for the speaker (and why is it preferred)?

Dave, would you pls quick-comment on these?

Anyone build the unfolded fencepost yet? I picked up two pairs of drivers and plan to build a pair of 'ken cabinets and a pair of fencepost cabinets (with just a single driver) and wrap them up as Christmas gifts for family. My original plan was to build the uFonken but I was bummed to see the Fostex driver is no longer available. I hope the Fountek sounds just as good. As always, I'll post photos and a review when I'm finished.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Anyone build the unfolded fencepost yet?

Not that i've seen anyone sit up andacknowledge.I still get regular highly positive comments from the fellow that ended up with the folded prototypes.

My original plan was to build the uFonken but I was bummed to see the Fostex driver is no longer available.

While true that the original FF85k is gone, and they left us hanging for a while, Fostex has had the FF85wk out for over a year now. And it is better yet. There is a uFonken for it, and the slightly larger, more complex uFonkenSET that is quite stunning.

The Fountek are good but don't do what the Fostex can.

dave

Thanks, I must have scrolled right past the FF85wk. A bit late to change plans though since I already placed my order with PartsExpress (got a decent holiday deal too). Haven't been on this site that much so I'm behind on the latest builds. I also find it difficult to figure out from your website what plans are available.

So the FF85wk works in the old uFonken enclosure without modification?

The uFonkenSET looks amazing but a bit above my woodworking skill level and the flatpack most likely over budget for gifts. Maybe I'll build a set for myself. Will it work with the old FF85k?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So the FF85wk works in the old uFonken enclosure without modification?

Not quite. Sloght changes in the vent. Plans are here (along with other free P10-HiFi plans).

Frugal-phile | Box Library / Fostex

I had to move them to a non-commercail site to allow me to post the URLs on some forums.

The more advanced plan-sets cost money so you need to contact me.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...10-hifi-minionken-plan-set-subscriptions.html (not totally up-to-date)

dave

I'm enjoying the fence posts right now (got about 3 hours on them) in a small room, powered off a 2.5 watt tube amp listening to old records while I work. I usually use my eNabled Frugelhorn MK1s in this room. There's less bass obviously, but it doesn't detract from the experience. I'd be happy to use these on a daily basis.

The 'Kens are a different story. I compared them to my FF85k uFonkens by putting them on my desk side by side. Not nearly as much bass and got a little harsh at louder levels. I was playing mp3s from my PC through a 10w T amp. That's just initial impressions though...I'd like them to break in a little more, and then I'll try them with the tube amp.

I have a friend coming over tomorrow and we'll hook everything up in the living room and do a little more listening. He's bringing a few projects too so we'll have at least 3 desktop variants to compare.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.