My New Dipoles - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2012, 09:20 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Notch or no, nice setups Bob.
Old 12th May 2012, 09:41 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

no way this can sound superb, it can only sound ok or good, because you simply can't pair so small FR with such big bass and at that XO, where is the body in music?! maybe you have achieved a maximum of that setup, but that is far from what realistic sound production should be... please don't take this as rude, I just speak normal as I would speak in live

Last edited by DYNABLASTERTUNERS; 12th May 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12th May 2012, 11:47 PM   #43
woof is offline woof  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNABLASTERTUNERS View Post
no way this can sound superb, it can only sound ok or good, because you simply can't pair so small FR with such big bass and at that XO, where is the body in music?! maybe you have achieved a maximum of that setup, but that is far from what realistic sound production should be... please don't take this as rude, I just speak normal as I would speak in live
Live or behind the shield of a computer, you just insulted a very respected & knowledgeable designer, WITHOUT even hearing the design. I had the opportunity to hear this design at LSAF last week. It does not disappoint. Bob freely played any genre of music that visitors requested.
Old 13th May 2012, 12:37 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

I haven't insulted anyone, and who are you to talk in Bobs name? And how somebody can be insulted if that what I've said is not true?! otherways, if it's true- again I have insulted no one, think about it, it's simple logic...

and you're right about what you said, "not dissapointing"- that is what I'm talking about, feel free to read again what I have wrote

I have just said my opinion of combining such two units, to big Bass and too small FR, the same I think for big FR and not adequate size of Bass... or would you forbid me to say what I think? If that's so, then say it, and I will obey.

Last edited by DYNABLASTERTUNERS; 13th May 2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 13th May 2012, 01:22 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Of course you insulted me. You insult people on this forum as a modus operendi. You have no clue what my system sounds like. Woof heard it. But Woof is obviously wrong because he contradicts you prejudices. Perhaps you have heard of F.A.S.T. Get's discussed here every once in a while. Little driver over a big bass. My system is an extension of this.

Perhaps you might tell us why my system won't work. Obviously you are far more expert than I.

Bob
Old 13th May 2012, 02:25 AM   #46
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

To "critique" something without having heard it is one thing, to make it an insulting post is, well---
'nuff said
Don
Old 13th May 2012, 02:54 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

I like Dynablasters artwork.

He just doesn't think this kind of setup will work great.
Old 13th May 2012, 11:47 AM   #48
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

I've heard of a few designs that shouldn't work well but do. BIB might be one. To me, if you state emphatically something can't work or sound superb then you should give a good explanation as to why. That said, Godzilla has said the h-frames would not integrate above ~70hz and I've seen where p10 Dave has stated that woofers that go higher -2k maybe- work better in fasts. Wondering how you were able to do it Bob? Maybe ignored conventional wisdom and just went for it? Wish I could have made the trip to hear them.
Old 13th May 2012, 11:56 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ansepe74 Send a message via Yahoo to ansepe74
I made a baffle which the distance to the edges is just the same as backwards.
I live in a flat, and i wanted a design that was as neat as possibly.
So i ended up with a fullrange-baffle which is a mix between a standard and a "H".
Exceeded my expectations
Old 13th May 2012, 01:05 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
I've heard of a few designs that shouldn't work well but do. BIB might be one. To me, if you state emphatically something can't work or sound superb then you should give a good explanation as to why. That said, Godzilla has said the h-frames would not integrate above ~70hz and I've seen where p10 Dave has stated that woofers that go higher -2k maybe- work better in fasts. Wondering how you were able to do it Bob? Maybe ignored conventional wisdom and just went for it? Wish I could have made the trip to hear them.
This whole project was a "what if". The GW-1858 doesn't start to break up until >1kHz. Remember that I have a prejudice against large baffles, so the largest OB I would accept goes down to 300Hz. Seemed like this might work. In practice, it is amazing how well the paper Goldwood and the metal MA work together. The cross-over is very near middle C, so altos and tenors are singing right across it. I played some James Taylor and some Jim Croce -- couldn't hear the cross. Played a Mozart piano sonata. The right hand is on the MA, the left is on the Goldwood. Can't hear it!. Call it serendipity, call it luck, call it magic.

Sorry you couldn't make LSAF. There is always a lot of interesting stuff. Almost all DIY and boutique manufacturers.

Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!