My New Dipoles - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2012, 08:35 PM   #11
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I can't see the point of the narrow OB's for the mid treble unit. MJK uses
a 20" square baffle with an offset driver, and then uses the x/o to suppress
the baffle hump you get before baffle roll off. With narrow baffles the hump
is a lot higher and a lot of boost is required to get down to the bass unit.
wings on the narrow baffle will introduce cavity resonances, not good.

rgds, sreten.
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:42 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundaatma View Post
I would hate to see you throwing out the baby with the bath, if you dismiss the wide ranger on OB atop the h-frame, so early
Ψ

Please read the OP.

Bob
Old 2nd April 2012, 09:13 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

>>> I can't see the point of the narrow OB's for the mid treble unit.

I can't either.

But i did enjoy BIBs (using Fostex 165k) enhanced by H-frames so i believe something other than an OB works beautifully together. The trick with H-frames is making them look good in the room. I think of them as two big subs but with the special qualities of OB. I also think of them as speaker stands.
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:30 PM   #14
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Really like mine at approx 70-75hz and under, but over that not so much. I think it's an H-Frame thing by design that messes with the higher signals, the way the driver is walled/boxed in etc..Now if the leading part of the box could be flared out like a front horn then maybe things would be different ?..

Bob, if they don't work out for your project it would be interesting to see how you might like them as subs? I really enjoy them that way myself, and as Jeff stated they mate up real fine with the BiB cabs..
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:30 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

So the small OB's didn't work out. I knew I was stretching things. I knew that the OB would roll off at 300 Hz. I didn't know how high I could push an H-frame. Turns out that cavity resonance ~100Hz is a killer. It takes the right music to hear it, but it's there. This causes a general smear in the mid bass. As promised, I brought out my small TL's. These little suckers will go all the way to 40Hz on their own, but not with enough SPL to be convincing.

This setup has the H-frames low-passed at 70Hz 4th order Chebechev and the TL's high-passed at 100Hz 4th order Bessell. Works great. Nice smooth transition through the cross-over helped by a serious room-mode notch. The combination gives some serious weight to the bottom, but is nice and tight -- no booming. Of course, these H-frames are not real subs. They die below ~30Hz. But there is precious little music that low.

I know that it may sound like sour grapes, but I like the TL's better than the OB's anyway. The OB's were much too forward. The TL's have a lot less pronounced baffle hump and a generally smoother sound.

This rig needs some playing with, but I feel confident about it. If you want to hear them, be in Dallas May 4th for the LSAF meet.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H-Baffle+Tl.jpg (84.3 KB, 646 views)
Old 3rd April 2012, 03:22 PM   #16
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
So the small OB's didn't work out. I knew I was stretching things. I knew that the OB would roll off at 300 Hz. I didn't know how high I could push an H-frame. Turns out that cavity resonance ~100Hz is a killer. It takes the right music to hear it, but it's there. This causes a general smear in the mid bass. As promised, I brought out my small TL's. These little suckers will go all the way to 40Hz on their own, but not with enough SPL to be convincing.

This setup has the H-frames low-passed at 70Hz 4th order Chebechev and the TL's high-passed at 100Hz 4th order Bessell. Works great. Nice smooth transition through the cross-over helped by a serious room-mode notch. The combination gives some serious weight to the bottom, but is nice and tight -- no booming. Of course, these H-frames are not real subs. They die below ~30Hz. But there is precious little music that low.

I know that it may sound like sour grapes, but I like the TL's better than the OB's anyway. The OB's were much too forward. The TL's have a lot less pronounced baffle hump and a generally smoother sound.

This rig needs some playing with, but I feel confident about it. If you want to hear them, be in Dallas May 4th for the LSAF meet.

Bob

while I've heard several decent to stunningly good sounding OB systems, there are definite logistic / "real estate" issues required for them to do their magic -

you might have been able to avoid the problems with the performance / integration of bass if you had space to accommodate much larger baffle and even multiple woofers, but that's exactly my point - in simple terms they ( OB) are not for everybody's real world situations - but I've yet to find a room in which a pair of sometimes pretty dinky little TLs, "BRs", or BLHs couldn't work
Old 3rd April 2012, 03:49 PM   #17
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Bob,

What is the distance of the H-Frames from the back wall of the room?

-Zia
Old 3rd April 2012, 03:57 PM   #18
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
>>> I can't see the point of the narrow OB's for the mid treble unit.

I can't either.

But i did enjoy BIBs (using Fostex 165k) enhanced by H-frames so i believe something other than an OB works beautifully together. The trick with H-frames is making them look good in the room. I think of them as two big subs but with the special qualities of OB. I also think of them as speaker stands.
Small OBs contribute a more consistent polar pattern, with better side cancellation, and with proper compensation and enough displacement you can get pretty incredible performance.
Old 3rd April 2012, 05:56 PM   #19
hajj is offline hajj  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

The cavity resonance at ~100hz could be due to the H frame being too deep.
I'm just paraphrasing MJK here, but the effective depth seen by the woofer is sensibly more than the actual depth (12.9" effective as opposed to 7.5" actual in Martin's Alfa 15A H-frame), and with an 18inch driver the disparity between the actual and effective could be even more pronounced.
If this is the case, then making the H frame shallower should cure the problem.
Old 3rd April 2012, 06:06 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

>>> They die below ~30Hz…

Yes, they do. And the Alpha 15's only into the 40s... but the bass player sounds like he's in the room with me.

>>> I like the TL's better than the OB's anyway…

I don't see what's not to like with your current setup. To be fair, the OBs you made were not sufficient. They did look great but looks and sound are often at odds.

>>> but I've yet to find a room in which a pair of sometimes pretty dinky little TLs, "BRs", or BLHs couldn't work…

Yes, those types of boxes are popular for good reason… and you can always add a sub. They do the job!

If you have the room and don’t mind large panels staring at you then large OBs (I personally think approx. 20” x 40” is about as small as you can go for ‘full range’ sound) offer a different kind of sound that’s very enjoyable. Imaging is wider and sounds seem to emanate from within their own space more realistically. The large baffle is the key IMO. I really don’t know how these guys who hang their drivers in space get a full rich sound… but I’ve never heard a properly done implementation.

Peace,
Zilla

Hide this!Advertise here!