Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2012, 05:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Simple 5" Tang Band W5-1611SA project ideas...

Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I have been reading a lot and trying to design a fullrange system for my 10' x 14' sitting room. I'm impressed with how helpful everyone is on here and decided to register and see if I could get some opinions and suggestions on my overall plan.

As indicated, I have a pair of the Tang Band W5 -1611SA that I will be building cabinets for. Right now they are being broken in sitting in some ~.35 ft^3 ported junk boxes that happened to have the right hole in them. I have a Dayton T amp with 30w/ch and the source is my laptop with an equalizer in the soundcard program. I have the speakers wired directly to the amp.

My adjustments on the equalizer are flat from 1K up and a gradual boost from 500 down ending at +6 at 32hz. This is just by ear, an untrained pair at that. Is what I am doing here similar to a baffle step compensation? If so, is this a better way to do it?

I plan to make the enclosure .6 cubic feet and tune a port to 55hz. It will probably follow the golden ratio and the driver will be in the top half of the narrow/tall side. I intend to put a gentle radius (3/4"?) on the two vertical, front corners.

Am I on the right track for getting accurate sound that is fun to listen to? Should I think about impedence compenstaion, BSC? other things? I like the idea of not having any crossover components, but in the end, how it sounds should determine if I use any components between the amp and speaker...I think.

Thanks- Adam
Old 31st March 2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Have a look at this for a "turnkey" design with the W5-1611:

http://flogatt.kilu.de/Hifi-Forum/Sa...%20FloGatt.pdf

/U.
Old 31st March 2012, 10:17 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

At FullRangeMan's suggestion we got a pair of these to try in Frugel-Horn Mk3. They work very well. The drivers themselves have a bit of a plasticy colouration, i will be seeing if i can remdy that.

Nisbeth, that project has a very German approach to a box... a zillion notch filters.

dave
Old 31st March 2012, 10:41 PM   #4
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
At FullRangeMan's suggestion we got a pair of these to try in Frugel-Horn Mk3. They work very well.

dave
Another driver for the FH Mk3? What exactly is plasticy coloration - A slight lack of "naturalness" vs paper? How is the detail level?
Old 31st March 2012, 11:55 PM   #5
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Another driver for the FH Mk3? What exactly is plasticy coloration - A slight lack of "naturalness" vs paper? How is the detail level?

I'm just guessing a toy box kind of sound. hehe
Old 1st April 2012, 01:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
polypropylene cones do color a bit different than the colouration of the paper or paper-like cones (which in my opinion color just as well) as used by many FR drivers.

The idea of the filter in the linked plan is not bad: a potentiometer can be used to completely bypass it or to gradually select its impact.
Old 1st April 2012, 08:05 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Another driver for the FH Mk3?
Yes. It was mentioned a while back...

dave
Old 19th June 2012, 01:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I finally got the skil-saw and knocked together a couple of 3/4" MDF boxes...the speakers are really smooth even without any real damping and teetering on some flimsy stands. Can't wait to veneer them and properly line the walls. I'm using a 2 inch precision port on the rear tuned to 50hz which I think gives me a little dip at 60 until I shorten it.

The detail especially in the bass and mid bass is pretty stunning. Imaging is very solid if you are in the sweet spot. Not sure if I can deal with how directional the highs are though. Might have to make these a two way setup at some point. Wondering how high I can cross a tweeter and still enjoy more dispersion?

I mixed up some latex caulking and steel shot from a shot blaster to add some mass to the walls. Knuckle wrap test says "yes", not sure what it will sound like. The plan is to glue thin felt on the sides and some open cell ribbed foam to the back wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8720 (1024x768).jpg (188.1 KB, 674 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8721 (1024x768).jpg (192.9 KB, 638 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8722 (1024x768).jpg (193.9 KB, 633 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8773 (1024x768).jpg (116.3 KB, 630 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8777 (1024x768).jpg (209.7 KB, 630 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8778 (1024x768).jpg (222.0 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8780 (1024x768).jpg (262.8 KB, 144 views)
Old 19th June 2012, 03:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

it would be better that you have used something else than MDF, because this material is only good for bass, the beaming problem can be solved adding a rear firing tweeter ambience enhancer just XO it high with condensator 6db per octave

here is good aproach for sandwich
http://www.hifi-selbstbau.de/index.p...article&id=416

Last edited by DYNABLASTERTUNERS; 19th June 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 19th June 2012, 06:27 PM   #10
sayrum is offline sayrum  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNABLASTERTUNERS View Post
it would be better that you have used something else than MDF, because this material is only good for bass,...
why is that?

afaiu mdf has great damping properties against resonances in the walls, so isn't that ideal?

the idea of lining the insides of the cabinet (at least 2/3 of the area) with a sandwich of ~4mm bitumen and 2mm aluminum/3-4mm hdf board seems to produce excellent results!

thats planned for my next speaker build

Hide this!Advertise here!