Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2012, 01:45 AM   #1
rmeinke is offline rmeinke  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New pair of fullrange drivers

Hello fellas,
I am new to the full range experience. I built a small set of slot loaded W4-1320 bamboos and love them with simple BCS.

Recently I picked up a new pair of Tang Band W5-1880’s and wonder what options I have instead of the typical vented or sealed enclosures. MLTLs look great. If it would be possible to build a more simple horn design that would be very cool too.

Has anyone built a design with this driver? Or are there any existing MLTL or horn designs that are relatively close and could be used?

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited by rmeinke; 30th March 2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 30th March 2012, 03:03 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Isn't this driver discontinued? I have the smaller one, yet to play with it.

Scott did a sim that indicates the W5 should work in the Frugel-Horn Mk3

dave
Old 30th March 2012, 06:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the suggestion. The Frugel-Horn Mk3 is just beautiful to look at and from what I've gathered, sounds just as fantastic! The angles and curves may be more than I want to tackle right now but certainly on the list.

Would you happen to know other designs that might be more simple to construct if I shy away fromt he curves and angles? Just curious of the options.

Yeah, I missed the W5 when it was on special at PE but managed to picked up a pair off the forum. After reading what Steve at Decware had to say I'm very happy that I did. I too have the W4-1879 in the same line. LOVE the W4-1320SJ and thought that it would be a step up.

Thank you again for your suggestion! Appreciate the response!

Rich
Old 30th March 2012, 06:18 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeinke View Post
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the suggestion. The Frugel-Horn Mk3 is just beautiful to look at and from what I've gathered, sounds just as fantastic! The angles and curves may be more than I want to tackle right now but certainly on the list.

Would you happen to know other designs that might be more simple to construct if I shy away fromt he curves and angles? Just curious of the options.

Yeah, I missed the W5 when it was on special at PE but managed to picked up a pair off the forum. After reading what Steve at Decware had to say I'm very happy that I did. I too have the W4-1879 in the same line. LOVE the W4-1320SJ and thought that it would be a step up.

Thank you again for your suggestion! Appreciate the response!

Rich

how well might it fare in a simpler MLTL - such as Pensil, or end loaded such as micro-tower?
Old 31st March 2012, 04:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

A simple design would be best/easiest. Thin and tall so no stand is needed would be nice. So how do I know what designs work with the Tang Band?

But still trying the forget the Frugel-Horn... that thing is just flippin' beautiful!
Old 3rd April 2012, 01:39 PM   #6
wron is offline wron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Rich,

I purchased both the W5-1880 and the W4-1879 on sale on PE, and even with typical exorbitant cross border shipping fees, I am so happy to have them. I have the W-5 playing in a Madisound 38T cabinents configured as a ML-TL and the results have been very pleasing - I'm still fiddling with a baffle step parallel notch but do I prefer them over my DIY enAbled MA Alpair 10s. This Swedish forum has some ML-TL (TABAQ) designs for these TBs: Tang Band Quarter Wave (TABAQ)
I'd still be tempted to try Dave's Mark 3 Frugel Horns - perhaps you can purchase a FlatPack from him and save yourself some stress trying to make them

Ron
Listening to: Fire Escape In The Sky - Julian Cope's Scott Walker compilation
Old 3rd April 2012, 03:11 PM   #7
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wron View Post
Hi Rich,

I purchased both the W5-1880 and the W4-1879 on sale on PE, and even with typical exorbitant cross border shipping fees, I am so happy to have them. I have the W-5 playing in a Madisound 38T cabinents configured as a ML-TL and the results have been very pleasing - I'm still fiddling with a baffle step parallel notch but do I prefer them over my DIY enAbled MA Alpair 10s. This Swedish forum has some ML-TL (TABAQ) designs for these TBs: Tang Band Quarter Wave (TABAQ)
I'd still be tempted to try Dave's Mark 3 Frugel Horns - perhaps you can purchase a FlatPack from him and save yourself some stress trying to make them

Ron
Listening to: Fire Escape In The Sky - Julian Cope's Scott Walker compilation

Let me get this straight in case I did not understand your phrasing. You're saying you prefered the sound of Tang Band drivers to Mark Audio that were Enabled?
Old 3rd April 2012, 04:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

mmm-hmm... the paper TBs had more natural sounding siblants but I'm not ready to give up on the Alpair 10's wonderful midrange capabilities.
Ron
Listening to: Bruce Cockburn's Humans
Old 3rd April 2012, 07:02 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Wron, the Alpair 10 are 1st gen... i found they had much of the same hi-frequency behaviour that turned me off of the Jordan JX92. Treating them helped, but did not eliminate the issues.

dave
Old 3rd April 2012, 07:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,
I recall Klang+Ton or Hobby Hifi used a couple of notch filters in their Alpair 10 monitor but I haven't got around to trying these yet. The nice thing about the TB W5-1880 is that apart from baffle step there are no flies (or filters) in the ointment; they sound great (after a dozen or hours of break-in) out of the box. Perhaps they are a little more forgiving than the Alpairs and I found they really don't beam like some fullranges. It's a shame they've been discontinued;
Solen has a pair they are selling for (gulp) $287 each!
Ron
Listening to: The Essential Leo Kottke

Hide this!Advertise here!