Fostex F200A center channel? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2012, 10:30 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Why a 65L box?

The reason 2 drivers is bad, is because (unless you low pass one of them) they will interact with each other in a very bad way at higher frequencies. Google comb filtering to get an idea, or just take our word for it. For the same reason I'd suggest orientating the ribbon vertically with your F200A if possible. Otherwise you may be better of not using it at all. I can't say for sure as there are not enough details.
Old 29th March 2012, 10:47 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Ihave no issue with 65 litre... the closer he can get to the 0.5 Q the better i think... there will likely be significant room gain -- he is essentially mounting it in a BIG baffle.

dave
Old 29th March 2012, 10:50 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Ya, I don't see the issue either. But wouldn't a smaller box give better power handling and match to his cross over point better? I dunno though. What's the target cross over? I suppose the lower q would offer more cross over flexibility. Especially if his room does have some peakiness in the 100 to 200hz range.
Old 30th March 2012, 01:07 AM   #14
Rick R is offline Rick R  United States
diyAudio Member

The ribbon is 6" high and 8." wide. I could not use the golden ratio because the max of 22 would not give the smallest side room for the drivers. The closest I could come is something like 11 x 15 x 22. That would give me room for foam isolation and be about 60 l. volume. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.
Old 30th March 2012, 03:15 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
The ribbon is 6" high and 8." wide. I could not use the golden ratio because the max of 22 would not give the smallest side room for the drivers. The closest I could come is something like 11 x 15 x 22. That would give me room for foam isolation and be about 60 l. volume. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

warning, heresy alert:

the ribbon's mounting is not all that much smaller than the F200 itself, and while vertical MTM with these drivers could be stupidly good (but certainly not "frugal" ), as Ryan suggested, just for kicks you might try a single F200 on small OB in the center position to see if you desperately miss the top end

here's the heresy: if you do find the top needs some work, how about mounting the ribbon beside the F200? it might just work
Old 31st March 2012, 01:44 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
here's the heresy: if you do find the top needs some work, how about mounting the ribbon beside the F200? it might just work
I was thinking exactly that.
Old 31st March 2012, 07:57 PM   #17
Rick R is offline Rick R  United States
diyAudio Member

That sounds like the easiest possible test, a couple of boards and a hole, then do some listening. I think I can handle that. I will report back. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Hide this!Advertise here!