FR driver and EBP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2012, 06:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default FR driver and EBP

Hi all,
Can somebody point me to a 5'' full range driver well suited for a sealed box enclosure? It seems that for sealed enclosures a EBP <90 is recommended. What's the reasoning behind this?

For example the Fostex FF125WK has a EBP of 144. What are the drawbacks if I mount it in a closed box (B2) in comparison to a similar driver with a lower EBP? Is it just about bass extension?

FWIW, for this project i don't care about bass extension at all, the system will be complemented with a sub.
Thanks in advance!
Old 26th March 2012, 07:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Good question as I'm going to be using a fostex in a sealed enclosure soon as well. Bass extention also doesn't matter to me.

I'm not much of a cab designer, so hopefully you and I get some good feedback on this. For now though, my understanding is that a driver not meant for a sealed enclosure is just fine in a sealed enclosure. The only problems is lack of bass extension, and that it will require a large cab volume to work effectively. There are some other nuances as well, such as excursion power handling will be better in a vented cab (above tuning).
Old 26th March 2012, 09:25 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If you are using the FR as a mid-tweeter (ie don't care abou the bass), then one can readily take advantage of a sealed or aperiodic enclosure.

You want to grab a simulator and plug in the driver parameters and see what kind of volume is needed to get a nice smooth roll-off (typically Q = 0.5>0.707), That gives you an idea whether the XO can use the natural rolloff or goes lower than you need (often the case).

Some example sealed sims attached.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif A7g3-sealed.gif (24.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: gif EL70-sealed-sim.gif (14.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: gif FF125wk-sealed.gif (22.2 KB, 117 views)
Old 28th March 2012, 06:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answer, planet.
I've entered the driver into WinISD and it calculated a closed box of about 4 litres. (fb=118 Hz, Butterworth response) Quite smaller than I thought
Will go ahead!
Any recommendation for a suitable sub design? I'd like something compact for a home cinema setup, maybe around 8 in. Something that fills up a little where the FR gives up...
Cheers
Old 28th March 2012, 07:18 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintvolt View Post
Thanks for the answer, planet.
I've entered the driver into WinISD and it calculated a closed box of about 4 litres. (fb=118 Hz, Butterworth response) Quite smaller than I thought
Will go ahead!
Any recommendation for a suitable sub design? I'd like something compact for a home cinema setup, maybe around 8 in. Something that fills up a little where the FR gives up...
Cheers

I'd suggest at least 2 woofers, even as small as 6". "HT" use generally implies a surround receiver/processor with full bass management and "self-powered" woofers.

I personally consider outboard (rather than plate) amps the better choice here, and there are many candidates for suitable 6-8" woofers - Vifa, Peerless, SEAS, SilverFlute, Dayton, the list goes on - look for something that's good to at least 2 or 3 full octaves above your final XO point.

Depending on your geographical location, the specific recommendations will vary, but for this application we've used the CSS SDX7 - they work well in boxes as small as less than 1 ft^3, and we have a bunch of them.
Old 28th March 2012, 07:34 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

First thing, you don't want to think sub, you want to think woofer.... to integrate well with a FR used this high the woofer needs decent HF response (i use 1k as a nominal base-line). And you need one per side.

We use the SDX7 alot for situations like this, but now that it is scarce we are looking at others. The Mark Audio/CSS EL166 proved very nice but it is scarce now too (if Mark can be convinced we may see another batch of these -- a killer driver, even if you don't consider its aggressive pricing.

More available in Europe is the similar size Wavecor. A number of Peerless look interesting. I suspect that there are Visaton & Monacor (which we don't see over here) that are good.

With the predominance of 2-way cone/dome speakers, there are lots of good mid-woofers which get better when you don't use them up to where they start getting rough

dave
Old 28th March 2012, 07:37 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
.... CSS SDX7 - they work well in boxes as small as less than 1 ft^3, and we have a bunch of them.
7-21 liters, we usually try for12-17 liter, a pair fit into a cubic foot. Henjan may have some. They aren't inexpensive, and they do need a simple to do mod to clean then up (besides reducing noise thru-out their bandwidth, it smooths up the top octave).

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!