MicroFonken build thread - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2012, 10:00 PM   #11
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey, is it safe to assume that a router bit will not alter the size of the original hole that you cut out for the driver (like a non-cutting part at the bottom)?

By the way, I read a tip on the burn-in. I read it's a better idea to do it in intervals (i.e., shut them off at night) because 100 hours straight apparently won't have the same effect.
Old 26th March 2012, 10:17 PM   #12
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeout View Post
Hey, is it safe to assume that a router bit will not alter the size of the original hole that you cut out for the driver (like a non-cutting part at the bottom)?
this is the type of bit I use

Click the image to open in full size.

for nominal 1/2" (12mm) material, the gap between bearing and beginning of cutting edge means you can't remove all that much material - for maximum removal, and since my baffles are generally rebated for flush mounting, I usually tape both fronts face to face and clamp to bench to although the bearing to run on the underlying piece

The pin-cushion pattern of Fostex frames should put the mounting screws outside of the extent of the chamfer.

Quote:

By the way, I read a tip on the burn-in. I read it's a better idea to do it in intervals (i.e., shut them off at night) because 100 hours straight apparently won't have the same effect.
the spectral content and power levels at which they're run is also rather significant
Old 27th March 2012, 01:33 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

You still have to set the depth properly. If you mis-set the depth, the bearing won't help. The part the bearing is riding on won't change size, but everything above it is fair game.

The best answer to questions like these is to get some scrap and try it out for yourself. More lasting impression that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeout View Post

Old 27th March 2012, 06:55 AM   #14
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbike1 View Post
You still have to set the depth properly. If you mis-set the depth, the bearing won't help. The part the bearing is riding on won't change size, but everything above it is fair game.

The best answer to questions like these is to get some scrap and try it out for yourself. More lasting impression that way.

preach to the choir brother fastbike - no substitute for experience - after over 10 yrs of fiddling with these Fonken designs (sorry, I just can't resist) and others, I'm still fine tuning my techniques, and wasting the occasional piece of plywood
Old 30th March 2012, 03:01 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

No significant progress (not much time). But did start burning the fostex drivers a bit. I'm actually surprised at how good they sound just like this. Makes me excited for when they are in an actual enclosure.

Old 30th March 2012, 04:44 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post
No significant progress (not much time). But did start burning the fostex drivers a bit. I'm actually surprised at how good they sound just like this. Makes me excited for when they are in an actual enclosure.
Did you find it tricky to connect to the Topping amp? Is a bare wire easy to connect?

I'm glad to hear they sound good in cardboard boxes. I know I'll be too lazy to build enclosures for my drivers for a while. Teehee.
Old 30th March 2012, 04:48 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Bare wire was very easy on the model I have - there is a removable screw down 4 wire plug on the back. Easy to use. Loose screw, insert wire, tighten screw - done. Looks like it will support 14/16 ga if needed.
Old 30th March 2012, 05:51 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Removable screw? Do you mean the part that looks like a binding post with plastic on it? Is that what you can unscrew to connect a bare wire?
Old 30th March 2012, 06:20 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

We may have different connectors. Mine has something a bit like this on the back, but that fits into its own jack and is removable. Each screw tightens down to clamp on a wire.

Hide this!Advertise here!