Tannoy GRF Corner Horn and similar - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2012, 01:39 PM   #1
DagaZ is offline DagaZ  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to DagaZ
Default Tannoy GRF Corner Horn and similar

Hello

These questions may seem stupid, but I want to know so I ask. I have built some horns years ago. Don't know how I came up with calculations for those, but they sound pretty OK I guess. FE164 as midrange/high and Seas CA25FEY/DD in the bassregion.
I had a brain hemorrhage a couple of years ago and my skills in math haven't been working properly ever since, therefore I don't understand some of the crap I did back then.

I have looked upon several cornerhorns, and I like the way they look. They somehow have WAF which is important in this house. I am low on cash, but I am thinking of building some sort of cornerhorn with drivers below. My woodworkingskills are 'B' and I have a tablesaw and the machinery to do it.
  1. Seas CA25FEY/DD
    I would like these in the basshorn (Fs: 31Hz, Qes 0,33, Qts 0,28, Vas: 150,7 litres
  2. Fostex FE103Z
    Either use this in some tractrixhorn or the one below
  3. Fostex FE164

Now to the stupid question:
Did the old horns divide into two horns separately after the first throatexpansion or were they made 50/50 of the area?

Would either the FE103Z or FE164 work in a FLH cut around 250-300Hz?

If you don't ask. You will never know. If you don't try. You are plain lazy.
Old 25th March 2012, 10:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Not an exact question to your question, but perhaps useful anyway: in my opinion if you'll use a FR driver from say 300hz onwards then I'd try to use a smaller one without a whizzer for extra smoothness.

But, even so, if I would go for the effort of building such a rather complex enclosure, I would probably try to stay in the spirit of the original and put a decent coaxial driver in it. You'll be filtering anyway.
Old 25th March 2012, 09:21 PM   #3
DagaZ is offline DagaZ  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to DagaZ
Thanks for the reply. I don't intend to do an exact copy of something existing, I just want to be inspired by the old designs. I don't need to "get down" that far in bass.
I am trying at the moment to get a grip on Hornresp.

Hide this!Advertise here!